cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor bjbass19
New Contributor

Overhead Cable Installation

Hi Everyone, I'm having a few issues getting cable Internet installed (a few) LOL!

So, here's the situation:

• I called the sales team and asked if they can install cable Internet into a townhouse. The Optus representative said my address is not serviceable. However, the HFC cable connection runs directly past my house, I was advised because I have street frontage it shouldn't be an issue 
  • I am now told my address is listed as a commercial premises and Optus is unable to provide cable, I am renting, I have a RESIDENTIAL lease, my own electricity meter, my own hot water, my own phone connection. 
  • I have approval from the real estate and the owner of the building to have the overhead cables run to my property. 
  • I have been advised a technician would need to drive past my address and he will contact me that was 2 weeks ago, without an update 
  • I have spoken to Sales, tech support, customer complaints.
  • I spoke to activations who advised I would need to place an order, I cannot place an order as my address is incorrectly listed as a commercial property. 

The building my unit there's only 3 units in total including mine, was built 50+ years ago, and was listed as a residential building, the bottom floor was then converted to a store and now Optus are telling me my building is listed as a commercial building, I have my own power, water and phone lines.

My unit has street frontage and the Cable for a cable connection is 4 meters away from my front window.

I have contacted the local council who advised the building is listed for duel use, both residential and commercial.

my ADSL2+ speeds are extremely slow as I live a fair distance from the exchange the NBN is not available in my area until 2019.

How do I get Optus to change their information so I can connect to a cable connection, I have spoken to Optus a lot who advised a technician will do a drive by to check my address, however until he sees where my unit is he won't correctly understand what I'm talking about?

Our current ADSL2+ connection with another provider is NOT reliable, speeds reach a max of 3mbs on a good day, have had techs out who advised there is a fault under the road and Telstra would not be repairing it. 

I looked here: 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/overhead-cable-installation-removal-fixed-phone-broadban...

Was advised to call 1800 505 777 to arrange this, who then said I would need to talk to sales. I keep going around in circles. I am trying to give Optus my money and they don't seem to want it. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Overhead Cable Installation

They are busy installing NBN and being abused for its slowness.

How much data do you need per month? How much Netflix/Stan do you use?

0 Kudos
New Contributor bjbass19
New Contributor

Being a graphic arts studnet internet is extremely important, I need a fair bit of data I am currently using 400-600GB per month, Optus sales solution was to give me a 200GB mobile broadband plan and three 100GB plans costing aproximitly $300/Month. I also use both STAN and Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If we assume that nobody is going to service you, because the NBN monster is going to wreck all their investment, then one solution would be to keep the crappy ADSL for your video uploads. Now, I know that when you upload, you end up crippling everything else, and your browsing experience is slow. You could augment your ADSL with a cheap tablet plan $35-50, and use that for general browsing and Netflix/Stan.

(2) Other solution is to move house and deliberately look for one with fast NBN, because your demands are high. It's surprising how many people don't bother to check, before moving in.

(3) steal someone else's wifi.

0 Kudos
New Contributor r00neye
New Contributor

Hi - wondering if you managed to resolve this. I am having the same issue. Is there a work around?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@r00neye, I'm happy to offer a bit of guidance,

I can always organise a site inspection. 

I do need to complete a few checks before I do that, but it's worth a shot!

Can you send us a private message with your details?

I'll need your full name, DOB and complete address. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor r00neye
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, am sending you a message now

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Got it @r00neye, I just need one more bit of info! 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor r00neye
New Contributor

hi dan. what is the other bit of info?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors