I have entered my user name and password;

POP3;

mail.optusnet.com.au for incoming and outgoing mail server;

More settings > Outgoing server

Ticked: My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication

More settings > Advanced

Incoming: 995; SSL

Outgoing: 25; None

I'm currently overseas. But I'm using a vpn located in Melbourne.

This has been a bone of contention between Optus and me for years. What is correct? What should the settings be? Optus, can you help, OR don't you want to provide me with the support you have never provided to me in the past on Outlook settings.

This is utter rubbish.

When the NBN comes along I will look at other providers for my internet, mobiles and landline. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Occasional Contributor lilou2093
Occasional Contributor

Re: Outlook 2016 setup

Open Outlook 2016 from your start menu.

Step 1 - Open Outlook and click File
Step 2 - Click Add account
Step 3 - Type in your email address
Step 4 - Connect your account
Step 5 - Enter your password
Step 6 - Close automatic setup
Step 7 - Click File again
Step 8 - Click Account Settings
Step 9 - Click Change
Step 10 - Click More Settings...
Step 11 - Set the Root folder path
Step 12 - Test the account settings
Step 13 - You are done!

Occasional Contributor PhilS
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Just thought that I may not have been specific enough, because I have already set up Microsoft Office 365 version of Outlook. I have been using Outlook for many, many years and have a lot of email history in my Outlook. That's why I have never moved to the webmail version of Outlook or Gmail. I expect that Optus wants me to do the latter ... but I've paid a fortune to Optus for this but get no customer service. Even if you call them, they do not know!

My outlook is set up for Australia and usable in Australia, but I noticed that the settings had changed to SSL for sending and receiving with the appropriate server port numbers for those settings. A while back, I found out that Optus did not allow SSL or TLS. So I don't know how this happened.

Further, I can receive but cannot send while overseas, and having an Aussie VPN does not seem to help with that situation. Mind you, I've been fighting Optus for 12 years about this. You can tell from the frustration in this email!

So my questions should be:

1. Does having an Australian VPN help send email while overseas?

2. Has Optus changed its mind and started using SSL/TLS? If so, what are the correct server port numbers?

3. If the answer to Q2 is "no" and there is no security, what are the correct server port numbers?

I would like to correct this until I make a decision about my provider before the NBN is connected to my home later this year. It appears that Optus Technical Support knows nothing about its email and therefore cannot give me the support I require. Perhaps people in the community can help. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure authentication works when connected to a different provider mind you it's something I have never tested. Typically I have always used the outgoing mail server of the provider I am connected with and this shouldn't require a VPN.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor PhilS
Occasional Contributor

I actually spoke to an Optus techician on line and, while he didn't know,  he actually went out of his way to gind out: 110 in and 25 out with mo encryption. Oh, and these worked overseas, but I'm not holding my breath.

No one has been able to tell me if an Australian VPN works overseas!

Now all that needs to happen is gor Optus to include these woth the setup info on their website do mugs like me can find them.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

0 Kudos