Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor JJTom17
Occasional Contributor

Outlook 2016 settings

I have used Outlook for a long time.  Last week it suddenly stopped sending emails from my optusnet email account.  I tried to adjust the settings and ports with no luck and deleted the account from Outlook to reinstall.   Now I can't get it to connect at all.  The error message is We couldn't connect to the outgoing (SMTP) server.  Please check the <0w> server settings and try again.

The settings I am using are:  Incoming:  Server:  mail.optusnet.com.au  Port 110  SSL/TLS not selected;  Outgoing:  mail.optusnet.com.au Port 25

I select POP when I manually enter the settings.  

Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Outlook 2016 settings

Is ssl off for outgoing and no authentication either?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Yes.  SSL off for outgoing and no authentication either.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

On the outgoing server tab my outgoing (smtp) requires authentication is not ticked? By the way is this an adsl connection?

pop-mail-settings.jpg

mail-outgoing-server.jpg

mail-advanced.jpg

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Capture.JPG

does this help you at all?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes a picture always help but I don't see that setting as shown in the picture below. I will have a quick look on the web to see if there is such a page in the 2016 version.

mail-outgoing-server.jpg

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Quick question you are actually connected to Optus when you are checking your email?

Edit I just figured out why you are not seeing that tab. Microsoft in their wisdom changed the way you access these settings. You have to go through your computer control panel / mail / email accounts. It brings up the same interface but you get the advanced server tabs.

mail-control-panel.jpg

mail-control-panel2.jpg

mail-more-settings.jpg

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Awesome information!  Thanks!  Unfortunately this did not solve my problem completely.  (yes, I am connected to Optus when I check my emails too)

Capture 1.JPG

I have set the account up as you suggested.  Everything looks fine, then I get this error.  I opened Outlook after applying the new settings and I received mail from my optusnet email account (into my gmail inbox??) but I cannot send email from it.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thats ok it can get rather complex if you have not worked with email programs before and pictures can make it easier. You have a Gmail account on this same computer running into Outlook? What sort of connection are you using as in adsl, cable or something else?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes. I have a gmail account running through Outlook also. 

I have nbn. Does that help? 

0 Kudos