Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Alloig
New Contributor
New Contributor

Outgoing mail Outlook/ IMAP through OPTUS

I use Outlook for mail and OPTUS as a mail server. 

I am receiving mail but can't send mail   

Can anyone tell me the "advanced" setting for IMAP in Outlook Mail for outgoing mail

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Dan_C
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Re: Outgoing mail Outlook/ IMAP through OPTUS

IMAP VS POP3 - Email set up

Incoming mail server:

Host Name: mail.optusnet.com.au

Username: Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

Password: Your Optus net email password.

Server port: 143 (no SSL)

Server port: 993 (with SSL)

Outgoing mail server

Host: smtp.optusnet.com.au

Username: Your email @OPTUSNET.com.au

Password: Your Optus net email password.

Server Port: 25 (no SSL) Server port: 465 (with SSL)

Click here for a complete device/email set up instructions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Alloig
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi, Great response. As you can tell I am new to the "Forum".  Appreciate the quick response

Dan C's response appears to be for the IPhone and I have both IPhone & IPad as well as a PC with Outlook. 

Are these settings the same across the three platforms?

0 Kudos
Tris

Hey @Alloig, that's correct. Let me know if you have other questions 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
pkmelb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Has anyone been able to connect for IMAP outgoing mail to any port other than 25? I'm using the outlook client within my Office 365 subscription so should be the latest version.

I have tried port 465 with SSL or Auto selected but no success.

I'm using Express VPN and that is blocking port 25 (so annoying!) and I think that Nord VPN does the same as the VPN providers consider port 25 to be insecure. So, I'm trying to connect using any port other than 25 to get around the problem.

Tags (2)
Rob23
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can't believe this thread is marked as SOLVED. After spending over an hour being bounced around the various Optus Support structures, I gave up. The Optus team insist that "Port 25 is the way email works"!
No amount of discussion on how ISP's and Hotels are blocking port 25, because it is insecure, could convince the support team that this is a massive issue for Optus.

Effectively I was getting statements from the support team that this is the way it works and we can't change it.  So much for listening to customers. I am now resigned to changing my email away from Optus, and a step closer to cutting all ties, as using mail associated with a mobile plan (as I use another ISP after being forced to NBN), is compromised by this lack of attention to a pretty simple security requirement to use 465 for secure mail rather than only 25. also refer to https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Alternate-SMTP-port-required/td-p/112061 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Just had a bit of a play and I can't get SSL on 465 either, but SSL works on 25, woops!

Rob23
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Whoops indeed but did you check the traffic? Probably unencrypted and just a UI error. Even if it was SSL it doesn't get around the main point that Hotels and other ISP's are blocking port 25.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Didn't check the traffic but when I tried 465 I got "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) server does not support SSL-secured connections. If SSL-secured connections have worked in the past, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'" and no error ion 25 SSL, so it was an assumption I made.

I know it doesn't get around your 3rd party blocking problem, I was just curious if they had implemented SSL at all.

0 Kudos
Rob23
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just contacted AussieBroadBand, and they confirmed they block port 25 just as Hotels and other ISP's do. They also confirmed they do not block 465 but Optus already had stated they don't accept traffic on 465 into their outgoing mail sever and I have no answer as to why they don't. ABB help desk were fantastic! They can remove ALL port blocking and put the onus on you for security of the ports they previously blocked.
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/help-centre/nbn/tech-support/port-blocking/ so that is an option while we wait for Optus to accept 465 traffic.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors