cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor kerrivee
Occasional Contributor

Optusnet incoming email delay

Emails from multiple sources are being delayed 1-2 hours (sometimes longer). But only SOME emails, not ALL. For example, a client will send me two emails at same time and one will come though immediately and the other one will arrive 2 hours later. But still timestamped the same as the first email. I have tried using optus webmail direct, but that doesnt solve the issue. Attachments are not the issue. And I'm well below my inbox quota.

Tried an Optus help chat window today and the tech basically said it was fault of everything else except Optusnet.

We have had this problem many times over our years with Optusnet. A few years back when we chased up with Optus, they explained there was a problem with one of their incoming mail servers (hence the delay only happening to some emails) and they would fix it. They did. Then when the problem occured after that we were just patient and it righted itself within a day or so. But over the last year the problem has become more frequent. And over the last 2 weeks it is every day!

You only have to search 'delayed emails' on this forum to see how often this problem occurs! Why do the online chat techies not know about this problem, given how frequently people complain about it? And why is it not being fixed?

This is driving me nuts and is terrible for my business!

Tags (2)
28 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: email delay

I should specify, problem only with incoming emails. From multiple sources... everything from private addresses, big corporations and my membershiops emails from sites like LinkedIn etc. So across the board. The problem is clearly NOT with the sender.

My outgoing emails are unaffected.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There has been an ongoing issue with outgoing mail to Yahoo mainly but in the discussion on this topic it was said that a large amount of incoming spam emails had basically blocked up the works. It was inferred that this event was causing a backlog of mail that may be the cause of your problem.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Problems-emailing-Yahoo-only/td-p/502141

Occasional Contributor Pollie
Occasional Contributor

The problem still exists. The problem has been going on since October 2018.  It is now February 2019, all I am getting is not an OPTUS problem, Yes it is an OPTUS problem what does OPTUS not understand?         OPTUS playing blame game my fault, my problem, my PC,  NO IT IS NOT my problem nor any other poor sucker with an OPTUS account.  

Occasional Contributor

Yes, i still have the problem too! Last week i got a bunch of random emails several hours late. Gah! With so many people experiencing the same issue, why is Optusnet not finding the problem and fixing it?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Indeed it is still going on.  As I sit here in front of my PC   6 e mails arrived in in box  all sent 6 hours ago and on OPTUS webmail too. So whose fault is it OPTUS????     YES OPTUS should be rebranded NO OPTUS.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

What excuses are they giving you?           I have also lodged a complaint with Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

We've been chasing this problem for several months now. Every time we get on a Live Chat window, the answers are the same...it is a problem at our end, nothing to do with them. However, we have pushed to have the complaint escalated and we actually have received a phone call from optus (before christmas) saying they were aware of the problem and were working on it. Then another call a few days later asking if the problem was fixed, and we said no, and they said 'ok we'll keep looking into it'. Nothing more since.

They never said what the actual problem was, but i suspect it is same issue we had with optusnet a few years back...one of their incoming mail servers is clogged with spam so any mail that comes through that server is getting stuck for a while. Hence it only being random incoming mail and not all (because some goes through other incoming servers)

And yep, i just had 3 emails come in 2 hours late. Ughhhhhh

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Utter rubbish.   It is an OPTUS problem and they need to fix it.    Been going on now since October, what are OPTUS doing, passing the bucknothing unusual there.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

4 months later fault still exists.    Latest from an OPTUS Muppett - e mails are delayed because you live in a differnt State in Australian to where e mails come from i.e. time zone differnce of 3 hours.  I think not!    1. e mails still  arriving 6-10 hours after being sent to me 2. e mails are from clients, customers and friends who live in the same State as I do NOT Interstate.   Bad luck son shine try another exuse.     If   e mails arrive late in OPTUS Webmail prior to arriving in my pc in-box, whose fault is it? Not mine OPTUS as I have been told several times by some OPTUS Technicians and others who work in I.T. who know and understand how the system works, or should work.        Everyone is to blame except for OPTUS.  

Top Contributors