Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Beano57
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus voip settings

I would like to replace the Optus supplied Sagemcom F@st3864ac modem with a NetComm NF17ACV modem/router. I am on nbn fixed wireless. In the area where I live, there is no reliable mobile network and my copper landline is disabled. I am now totally dependant on voip for phone communication and cannot get the rquired voip settings from Optus to configure my NetComm modem.

What can I do to overcome this dilemma?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus voip settings

As far as I can see, no one has managed to get said settings from Optus. The work around most people are using is bridging from the Optus supplied modem to their 3rd party router so that they can have the landline plugged into the Optus modem and everything else on the new router. Not ideal but that's the best they've come up with so far

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Beano57
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks SamSam, would bridging solve a dropout issue with the Sagemcom junk? I am already getting acceptable network coverage via a range extender placed in the middle of the house.

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Potentially but it's hard to say. It could be a line fault in which case the modem isn't the cause at all. 

Overall though, from the posts I've read of people going down this path they've seen a significant improvement in most areas almost straight away, including drop outs. If there's a possibility of borrowing a router from a friend to test first or finding a store with a good return policy as insurance, I'd go down that path to be safe. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Bandit2016
New Contributor
New Contributor

I think optus is breaking the law by withholding voip settings from its customers they are denying freedom of choice by not allowing customers to use byo modems with voip 

0 Kudos