cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor ak144
New Contributor

Optus threatens to disconnect cable connection to sign up to Optus NBN

I received a letter from Optus to tell me that the cable internet connection will be disconnected on the 28th of September because of NBN.

I have signed up with different NBN provider because you are charging me more expensive than my current plan for the NEW NBN plan, and NBN has been trying to activate my account for the last 6 weeks (they have done some civil works, activation, etc). Unfortunately, they are still having issue activating my account at the moment.

I've been trying to contact Optus support to extend my cable connection because obviously NBN is not ready, talking and waiting for more than one hour on the phone earlier today (transferred to 6 different teams) and when I asked for escalation, basically the phone got disconnected (by mistake hopefully). GREAT WAY OF CLOSING A CUSTOMER ISSUE. 

Can you please keep me to stay connected until NBN is ready and active? In your letter, you have a little note to say 'To avoid being disconnected, we need to have your nbn order in the system no later than 4pm on 28 September 2017'. I hope you are not saying that only applies to Optus NBN. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus threatens to disconnect cable connection to sign up to Optus NBN

Its definitely a mess but here's what's happening.

1) Optus aren't disconnecting you because of the NBN. They're disconnecting you because they can do that any time and they've decided 3 months after the NBN is active in your area (not active at your house) is the deadline.

2) For cable users the internet is now more expensive. We've had it good for the last decade but the NBN is about spreading that goodness around the entire country. If you found a cheaper plan then its likely the tradeoff will be less than stellar performance for the lower buck.

3) You don't deal with NBNCo directly. Your ISP does it on your behalf. If you've dropped Optus and gone else where then you should be complaining to your new ISP (Optus have nothing to do with your new arrangement)

4) Optus will be shutting sown its cable in your entire area (not just to your house). Its likely this process will take quite a while longer than the Optus hard sell suggests. You probably have several more months with Optus if you want.

5) For the same reason as 4 above, Optus won't keep your individual internet connection running for any special reason. They will shut down your suburb when they decide to shut down your suburb.

6) Optus are allowed to do this.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor ak144
New Contributor

Thank you for your replies.

I understand that Optus will be shutting down its cable in the entire area. However, after the chat session with them yesterday, they confirm that they can extend the internet cable connection if I sign up to the NBN plan yesterday. I do feel that they are very direct and forceful to make me sign up to Optus NBN.

I understand that my new internet service provider is the one who deal with NBN on my behalf. But, as per the information from the NBN (or BSA) technician, this is NBN activation issue and other providers will have the same issue. The item #4 in your reply is exactly what I have requested after I received that information (i.e. cable connection is still active in my area) from Optus. I'd like to keep the Optus connection for few more days or weeks until NBN sort out the activation issue.

Anyway, I did speak with the service team in Optus later yesterday after I posted the message in the forum. They informed me even though I have received final disconnection letter from Optus, they have not received any request to disconnect my connection in the system and ensure me that my cable connection will be kept until few more months.

Still confused and not sure what will happen on the 28th. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

"Still confused and not sure what will happen on the 28th. "

You and a lot of others. Optus can't extend your cable connection if you sign up with them. They will keep the cable connection active (for everyone) for as long as they decide to. When they decide to turn it off it will be 100% off (not 99% off and lets keep it running for you)

Its a hard sell based on fear and uncertainty. Sign up with us for 24 months or who knows what will happen? IMO contact an NBN provider that offers month to month contracts. Aussie Broadband? They will connect you to the NBN as soon as its physically possible. I suspect Optus won't be disconecting any suburbs until an alternative (i.e. NBN) is actuallly available. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor ak144
New Contributor

Just want to give the Crowd update on this. I called the ombudsman and the next day Optus rep called me to ensure that there will be no connection until NBN gives them an OK. Interesting. 

Yesterday, I received a letter from Optus saying that "Due to a data error, you were advised of a disconnection date which is different from the date we originally communicated to you in September". The new disconnection date is 12 Dec 2017. Smiley Happy

I guess Peter may be right it is a hard sell. But, I'd like to think positive, Optus had data error and Optus NBN sales team was not aware that it was an error. Smiley Happy

By the way, NBN co has fixed the activation issue today and I'm good to go with Aussie Broadband.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Miles_R
RetiredModerator

Heya @ak144, not the best experience bad glad to hear that the confusion has been fixed up. Please get in touch if we can look into anything for you.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors