For several days I have been having problems with my Google account - Gmail is up and down and so are other Google pages. I tried several fixes from Google forums and none of them worked.
Yesterday I called Optus to see if the problem was at their end - if they were blocking something or aware of an issue with Google. The tech support guy told me to factory reset my modem (which is not an Optus modem). I did this and was then unable to log back on as the username and password the techie supplied me did not work. My problem went from not being able to access Google websites to zero internet access. The techie said I would need to raise the issue with Netgear as they do not support third party routers. So now I have to pay Netgear to fix a problem that Optus have caused???
Luckily I had an Optus modem that I could set up. When it was set up the guy told me that the problem was not with Optus but with Google and I would need to contact them. He offered to find me a Google telephone number and then put me through to them.
The guy that answered asked where abouts I was and which was my nearest big city so they could check the server. he told me someone would call me back soon.
I received the phone call back from someone who asked me a few questions and then said he would need to log on to my computer remotely to take a look. Now I would NEVER let anyone do this under normal circumstances but as this was a number that Optus put me through to I was sure that this guy was from Google...right? I let him poke around on my computer for a bit before he started telling me I would need to install a new email client which would cost me a licencing fee and then I would need to pay some other tech support company $200 to set all this up and fix up my Google problem. Finally I asked the guy if he was calling from Google and he told me that he was calling from a company called Macpatchers which is Google's 'official' tech support company.
I immediately stopped the remote session and hung up on him. On researching Macpatchers I find that they are a scam company and at least one person has had their credit card details stolen by them.
And Optus sent me to this company...
I am unable to email Optus about this (no email address). I am unable to Live Chat with anyone (all their operators are busy). I'm waiting in an 'extended' queue desperately trying to speak to someone to find out what the heck they were thinking.
And no, my Google problem is still not fixed. But now I have an additional thing to worry about.
I will be taking legal action. Absolutely DISGUSTED!
Those 'Chat' operators and the call centre you have to wait 30 minutes to speak too are all located in the Philipines. They have no ability, power or authority to fix anything. They're just a feel good fob off.
Optus also knows that no one ever sues them so that's not an issue for them.
You're best off just making a compliant to the TIO. Optus doesn't care and the TIO actually has no power but they do fix the simple issues to keep their complaint numbers down.
Hey @tinkermel76, thanks for sharing this with us and my apologies for the concern here. Typically agents should not be transferring customers outside of Optus to avoid issues just like this. If you could please send me a private message with your account number, I will make sure feedback is passed on so this doesn't happen again.