Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
NoelG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus service 1 out of 10

Our family has been with Optus for many years. I must say that Optus in my opinion was one of the best organisations in Australia, but has sunk to one of the lowest (in my opinion). And it is important for Optus to hear this sort of feedback. By the way I tried a number of times today to follow with Optus in accordance with the Optus customer complaints policy. I phoned to speak to someone about the Optus related issues That I am experiencing with phone and ADSL2+ internet, but there is at least a 30 minute wIait. According to the Optus customer complaints policy there is an email address in this regard but I could not find it.

In my case I believe that I was duped into signing up for ADSL2+ and in this regard was categorically told by an Optus representative that there is no cable in my street when there clearly is (which I just found out about). Surely Optus is supposed to comply with the relavant consumer laws in regarding to misrepresenting the facts in order to dupe me into signing up for an inferior service when I could have signed up with Telstra. There is so much more to complain about in relation to the poor service I have received from Optus, but I will leave it at that for now. I would be keen to hear comments from others.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Scott4545
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Optus service 1 out of 10

Noel

I agree.  I have spent the day trying to contactt Optus to sort out a simple problem.  The issue being it is actually impossible to talk to anyone:

- live chat is not working because it is too busy - have been trying since 10 am this morning

- rang 133937 - no ability to speak to a human just IVR that dies not provide a solution

- left a number to be called back on.  received a call from Optus  hwhichI answered but no one spoke at the other end of the line!!

I post this in the vain hope that some one from Optus will actually  contact me.

This is the lowest level of service i have ever experienced and i am ready to move to Vodafone or Telstra because it cannot be any worse.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Noel,

Optus are generally pretty happy to connect you to their cable network whereever possible. Its generally much more profitable. 

Its possible the NBN rollout might be affecting your area soon?  Also your property might be on subdivided land? Like 14 and 14a?

If you'd like to PM me  (click on my name) your address I'll check what that says about options. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
NoelG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, the issue is that I was duped into signing up an agreement with Optus. My decision to go with Optus was based upon the Optus representative telling me that there is only ADSL2+ in my area and no cable. This is clearly not the case. The facts were misrepresented by Optus to secure my business. I phoned Telstra who tell me that they can hook my house up to cable. There are consumer laws against service providers misrepresenting the facts as it relates to their goods and services.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

I think you nailed it with that last line... "As it relates to their goods and services"

Optus aren't responsible for letting you know what better deals or technologies exist with other companies (which seems reasonable to me). Optus told you they can't hook cable up from their cable network (seperate from Telstras cable network). Consumer laws are there to protect us from other companies, not from ourselves.

As I said, I might be able to double check that but you'd need to PM an address (and I understand why you might be cautious on that)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
NoelG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, 

I do not mean to be disrespectful but why do I get the impression that you seem to protect Optus on this forum—are you an employer, contractor of Optus or someone who has something to gain by arguing against people on this forum who have a complaint.. 

in regard to what you have just posted, you are playing with words. if Optus uses false and misleading methods to secure its business from me, or any other consumer like me, it is a breach of consumer legislation. Trickery by an Optus rep to get my business is no way to do business, it does not matter how you massage the words. If I do not achieve a satisfactory resolution to my issue there is  a free service is provided by the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (the Ombudsman is Judi Jones) to resolve disputes for both residential consumers and small businesses who want to make a complaint about their telephone or internet service. The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s mantra is that their “goal is to settle disputes quickly in an objective and non-bureaucratic way”.

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s website states the following: ‘We are able to handle complaints about telephone and internet services, including by collecting any documents or information relevant to the complaint’. ‘We have the authority to decide the resolution of a complaint (the telecommunications company is legally obliged to implement) up to $50,000, and make recommendations up to $100,000’. Is this not just great for the consumer. There is really no need for the consumer to suffer at the hands of a telecommunications service provider!

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s website provides information about who they can help and how they can help a consumer of telephone and internet services. I am of the opinion The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman provides at great and essential service for the consumer. Most of the cases referred to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman get resolved even before the Ombudsman’s investigators begin an investigation.

If a consumer has tried to resolve an issue more than once, or say more than twice, the matter could be referred to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. The service to the consumer is free. Organisations like Optus end up footing the bill for investigations in line with the number and relative importance of complaints that is generated each quarter in regard to issues its customers raise with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. So it is financially in the interests of telecommunications service providers to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. In summation, I am of the opinion that the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is a very good service provided to consumers of internet and telephone service, and is certainly not toothless but is backed up strongly by the law.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Appreciate the circumspection, but just a fellow customer like you ( I assume you are a fellow customer?) On the internet, everyone is a dog and I'd hope you take my (and anyone elses) comments on their merit. If you can be bothered wandering back through my previous posts you'll see I'm about 60% neutrally helpful, 25% neutrally unhelpful, 10% critical of Optus and occassionally the customer is actually wrong (the last 5%)

Personally I'm a huge advocate of knowing your statutory rights. Watched every episode of The Checkout to date. I can see you've got a strong grasp on your rights an recourses which is great. However its a common misconception that the ACCC and TIO etc are there to try ensure companies offer a good deal. They are there to ensure you have been given correct information about the product and service they are offering.

Without out knowing the ins and outs of your dealings there's seems to be two conversations in play:

1. Hi Optus. I want high speed broadband internet at my home. [Sorry we don't offer cable at your address. We can offer an ADSL connection though.] Damn. Okay then I'll take the ADSL

2. Hi Optus. I want high speed broadband internet at my home. [Sorry we don't offer cable at your address. However I've just checked on your behalf and Telstra offer cable internet to your address. You should call them.] Great. Bye.

Conversation 2 would be something, but there's no legal requirement (TIO, ACC or otherwise) for Optus or any company to have that conversation. It seems Optus offered you their best product and hopefully its performing as advertised? If not then the TIO or ACCC can definitely step in and help.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
NoelG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I do not expect telecommunications services providers to tell me about the best deal but do expect that they comply with consumer legislative requirements. would strongly suggest to anyone on this forum to get advice from the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (it is free to consumers) rather than being incorrectly steered in a tricky way by someone who you suspect of trying to shut down customer complaints, such as mine.

I have been successful in seeking a resolution and the issues I presented have been acknowledged. So there is no longer a need for me to pursue this matter any longer unless certain aspects of the agreed resolution are not fulfilled by Optus. Peter, you have not been helpful at all to me in this matter and if I had followed your advice I would have been unsuccessful in seeking a resolution.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @NoelG, just a quick heads up.

I've replied back to your posts on thread → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Optus-cable-not-available-can-see-the-HFC-cable....

We're happy to chat with you there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Scott4545, sorry Scott, I almost missed you there!

Completely get the frustration here; our customer service team have been a bit under the pump of late. Customers are experiencing longer than normal hold times and connection times on chat. What’s the issue regarding? I'm sure we can help out from our end. Let us know.

You can even send us a private message. You'll need to include your full name, DOB and account number. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos