Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus router

We have had our NBN box fitted but still waiting on the optus modem to be sent out. Can I buy a second hand optus router of the same model they are sending out (seen one on market place) or do I need to use the one they are sending to activate the service?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus router

You could purchase a router from officeworks or alike. You would be out of pocket for a router though. Maybe check Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I have already bought one from officeworks. A TP link but it won't work until I have activated the connection with the optus modem first. I was just wondering if it had to be the one they sent out or if it could be any optus router that I could pick up from market place or gumtree?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would have thought that you could setup using any modem/router. I could be wrong.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi - is the NBN unit a black Arris HFC modem (coax) or a white NBN NCD device (telphone cable)? I suspect you will need Optus to activate the service first - this process matches your NBN provided service to the MAC address of your Optus modem. If it is a self-install and you are migrating from ADSL and remaining on FTTC(white unit) , maybe a dual mode operation possibility - working ADSL then formal notification to you when swing over occurs - not sure of implementation procedures or what has been communicated to you formally from Optus when you applied - did the NBN technician indicate any next steps?

Once it has been activated, another third party preferred modem can be used to link to the NBN equipment if desired, but this would then mean you have no phone service unless you connected the Optus modem as a secondary unit to the third party modem and programmed certain parameters into the third party modem to allow telephone calls to pass through it to the Optus modem.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

We have the black NBN box. Not heard much from optus yet and the NBN guy said just get a third party router and use that, which we did but of course it doesn't work. I was wondering if a optus modem from ebay or gumtree that is the same model would work as there seems to be a shortage due to the coronavirus. I guess if they haven't activated it it's not going to work?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

If the black Arris modem has four Green LEDs, it's ready to connect but I am surprised you have not received any communication or verification from Optus regarding their modem being sent to you and that your account and billing arrangements are all set up in place for the new service. 

Suggest you contact Optus to verify situation status. In case you ever need it for future reference, third party modems connected to Optus NBN after the service has been activated and matched to Optus's systems, are usually connected without User ID and Password in the modems's settings, the WAN setting set to Auto or DHCP/IPoE, not PPPoE. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info. I managed to get in touch with optus. They are having trouble getting the modems sent out due to supply issues. They couldn't give me a time frame. The four green lights are lit up on the NBN box and the WiFi lights are lit up on my TP link router but when I connect I get the connected but no internet message. Can't seem to find away round it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Did Optus indicate to you that you could connect a third party modem in the interim or do they require their modem to be pre-registered first before a different modem is connected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

They just said,
It's not recommended to use a third party modem, as we are often unable to to help with troubleshooting and may not help push the order through to completion, as the system doesn't recognise it.
0 Kudos