cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Mek
Occasional Contributor

Optus refusing my order for $60 unlimited service

So we ordered the $60 unlimited plan and were waiting for confirmation. 2 days later, Optus get back to us and tell us that they have declined our order because they said the people who used to live in our apartment were with Optus and that they didnt pay their bill. So because of that, they are declining our order. They said the only thing we can do is look for the old tenants and ask them to pay for it, which is ridiculous because there's no way we're doing that. But i really doubt Optus can't confirm our order because of people who used to live in our apartment, who we don't know

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optus refusing my order for $60 unlimited service

Sorry...being saddled or impeded with a previous tenant's debt is not on.  Complain here:

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Good reason to go Telstra or iinet. You might even get the bandwidth you pay for. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Does Telstra or iinet have higher speeds?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

As far as we can see from the NBN complaints on this forum, Optus aims too cheap and consequently doesn't pay for enough cvc bandwidth. Consider that you get what you pay for. It also gives you a sagemcom modem which people complain about.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Damn. I was interested in the $60 plan with optus since my friend told me about it and he said it was alot faster than the TPG plan he had which was the same as the one I have now. From the 400kb/s download speed to 1.5-2 mb/s download speed

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Its different from street to street, and node box. Sometimes lots of people on the street can be on NBN and using all the peak hour bandwidth. Other times you can be first on, and happy for a while. Its like roulette. I can see that they have month to month, with $200 up front. You have to do a lot of work to find out.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The ADSL2+ plan is what im after since NBN isnt ready yet in my area. Im assuming I would at least get better speeds than my TPG plan, similar to what my friend is getting now (1.5-2mbps) since we live relatively close to each other (5-10 min drive). Do you reckon if we call back Optus and talk to someone else, we could resolve this whole old tenants keeping us from signing up problem? 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

ADSL2+ is distance related. 0km = 100% 5km=0%. How far can you drive in 10 minutes? (I'm just saying that your friends experience is in no way related to your possible experience)

The old tenants issue does seem bizarre. I agree call back and chat again as what response you get does differ depending on who you talk to. Optus signs contracts with individuals (not households).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Optus will be same speed. My dad's Optus also gets congested at 5pm, even though he's only getting 2.4mbs, tops. He is 4 km away from the exchange. His friend up the road gets 1.6mbs, due to another 800m line length.

Its difficult to know whether your peak time congestion will be better in Optus.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors