Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus no longer providing support for their modems?

Hi all,

First post from me. First time I've had serious issues with Optus and I'm really disappointed. Hopefully I don't have to jump off another sinking ship like iinet!

I spoke to someone in live chat support (made them confirm they are tech support not just general enquiries) about my modem because I can't get ports forwarded properly (not sure but think it might be a modem firewall issue) and was told to contact the manufacturer for support. I asked if that was the case for all recent Optus modems and they confirmed yes. This to me indicates that Optus is no longer providing tech support for their custom firmware installed modems!??

Going to the manufacturer was a nightmare. They can't provide support for Optus firmware, since it looks and operates completely different from their own. 

Called the phone support and spent an hour getting transferred around (one time i was meant to be on hold but got transferred instead) to be told BASIC support is provided and the only remote access they have is to reboot the modem or factory reset it. Since the issue I have is likely the firewall, for which all settings are greyed out, Optus tech support can't help me at all! 

My conclusion: Don't flash your firmware to devices if you don't provide full tech support for that firmware!!! What the hell??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus no longer providing support for their modems?

They are terrible, as long as you have internet & phone working that's where they generally draw the line.  Anything more then that and you will struggle to get any help.

The firewall is definitely restricted and most reports of problems relate to gaining remote access to your local network.

Check out the main thread here for know issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus no longer providing support for their modems?

This isn't unique to Optus. In fairness there are limits to how much technical expertise Optus can be expected to give its CS Staff. Particularly as much of Optus CS is based on a "follow this script for problem X"model rather than actual understanding.

Telstra also limit tech support and now anything like port forwarding would be moved to their expert band (they do at least have a support option) that either costs per call or customers can get a few free calls a year.

Ultimately the product Optus is selling isn't a complex one. Its essentially access to the internet to download and upload data. The modem provided fits the minimum specs to do that. If a customer wants a better capability then they need to either buy a proper modem that they have full control over or other RSPs do have a better base models and doesn't lock their equipment down to such a degree (including not allowing phone landline calls via other modems)
0 Kudos