Searching...
Accepted Solution

Optus is charging me for local calls I did not make

sayapria

I am confused about Optus, I have a cable broadband and fixed line phone service. I do not really need the fixed line service but Optus in their wisdom they insist on bundling the fixed line otherwise they would charge an extra $20 per month for the privelage of not having a fixed line. Fair enough.

As I am not interested in the fixed line because I have a mobile with Optus with unlimited calls, I did not connect any fixed line phone to my modem and asked optus to barr all calls from my fixed line. So basically it is impossible to make any phone call from my home as there is no phone connected at all and no one lives or visit the house.

Guess what last month I had 3 local calls made from my line, I disputed the charges and was refunded the three calls and promised no further mistakes such as this will be made.

This lastest bill is showing one local call I made from my fixed line. Again waste over an hour talking to optus rep to fix this problem who promised it will be ok.

My worry is how can optus charge me for a call which is impossible to be made by me?

I noticed on Optus website that local calls can not be barred at all. Again I accept that, but what I can not accept is how the calls can happen?

I guess maybe Optus is charging a lot of customers for calls which they did not make. When you have a large number of calls it is hard to tell what you made so it is easy for Optus to charge extra for things they did not deliver.

Hope someone can really tell me how can I stop Optus from charging me for the local calls I can not make? and what needs to be done to make sure the line does not generate these fictitious phone calls?

I guess the only hope for me is to cancel Optus and find someone more honest about the service they provide

Re: Optus is charging me for local calls I did not make

petergdownload

All the Telcos probably make small errors here and there. That almost all of those errors involve charging people for something they didn't recieve is perhaps a "life tax". - spend an hour disputing a 25c charge on principal or move on?

What plan are you on? For how long? Are you on the NBN yet?

Current plans require $20+ to add a phone on. You should be able to drop the landline now if you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

sayapria

Thanks Peter for your prompt reply. I am already on a $60 unlimited Cable Broadband which includes the Fixed line. I have been with optus for few years and this latest plan started April 2017. 

At the time they said that that is the cheapest option to have the unlimited cable broadband (having to bundle the fixed line)

I know the charges are small (30c per local call) but my worry is if they can generate calls without me doing it, what is stopping them from making 1000 calls from my line. So it is the principle and also eliminating the possibility of big error.

So if you are able to advise me about how I can drop the Fixed line all together and just stick with my cable broadband at a cost of $60 per month or less I will be grateful. Of course I not not interested in paying penalties for removing the Fixed line which they told me under my contract is about $300 depending on when i change.

Look forward getting some good options

Solution

petergdownload

You're right that a land line does seem foisted on you. 

I'm not sure how your action prevent a "big error" from happening but if you want to stay on top of the issue (but not devote hours to it) set up a form email (and possible a form letter.) 

Email Complaints: Optus.com.au/contactus

Written Complaints: PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106 SA

Send it off and say you don't have a phone and the charges will likely be refunded out of hand. No need to sit around waiting for them to pick up the phone.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Sandy0005

The exact same has happen to me. I changed my plan a few months ago from a $75.00 which included all local calls to $60.00 per month.  I was fully aware that I would be charged for any calls made but like you I dont even have a phone plugged in so thought this would be fine for me.  Got my first bill and charged for 12 local calls, second bill 16 local calls.  I contacted Optus and they were quite happy to credit me for the call charges.  I really hope this doesnt happen again but next months bill will tell.  I understand its not a lot of money but if they charge a extra $4.50 to every customer on this $60.00 plan then they are making a nice little profit for doing nothing.  You can bloke any outgoing mobile calls but not local.

sayapria

I had time on my hand so I persisted with the technical support and customer representatives until I found that the number which was called is 1300 721 896. They gave me all the crap that I might have a medical equipment or an alarm connected to the phone and I explained to them that I am an IT guy and I know what I am talking about when I say I have no equipment connected to the line. I had even to explain that the only access point is through the modem and I have nothing connected to the phone plug in the modem. To cut the story short and after a lot of hours talking to Optus Reps, the number which was called is not even connected. It is a disconnected number and still they create the charge for it which defies all logic and point to Optus system which is not up to scratch and generating fictitious call somehow without anyone one making them.

So after all these hours with the rep from Optus she promised that she will escalate this matter so they can fix it once and for all.

If I am a betting person, I bet that Optus does not care and will not fix the problem because I am  not the only one and I could see conversations dating over a year about the same subject and exactly the same number. So they had knowledge long time but they chose to do nothing. 

If Optus will keep annoying me each month about this stupid matter I guess I will have no choice but to escalate this matter further and seek my rights. I do not like to spend each month about a full day talking to call centres which are just pretending they will help and give me nice words with no action. 

This is really beyond the joke and Optus should be ashamed of their practice but locking us in contracts with hefty penalties and giving us lousy service afterward

Let's wait and see 

Hodgie

Hi,

Same problem. Noticed a number of local calls on my last 3 bills (Jun, Jul & Aug) while our home phone has been turned off during this period. Optus confirmed that the number 1300 721 896 had been called on all occasions even though this is a disconected number. I informed Optus that no person had made these calls as our phone has been switched off for more than 3 months. Optus waived the local call costs for my last bill and have now blocked my home phone line from making calls.

Optus really need to look into the problem further as I suspect there will be many more customers out there not realising they are paying for local calls they are not making. I encourage customers to contact Optus and ask for a detailed breakdown of their local calls and to see if 1300 721 896 is on the list and if so to ask Optus to take action.

regards,

Hodgie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
85 Kudos
80 Kudos
64 Kudos
35 Kudos
35 Kudos