Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Toals
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus fibre to the house

Hi everyone,

Can someone please tell me what happens, when I already have fibre optic cable to the house for my broadband and the NBN finally comes to my area?

I currently get upwards of 85kbs. I don't want to lose that and I'm certainly not going to pay more to NBN to get the same as I already have!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus fibre to the house

Who's the fibre through? 

I get the feeling you're referring to HFC or Hybrid Fibre Coaxil which isn't quite Fibre to the Premises but is still quite a good technology. If I'm right, then it'll depend on what technology is coming to your area and the best way to check that is via the NBN website. In most Optus HFC areas there's also Telstra HFC and NBN have bought both networks but are only using Telstras. If Telstra HFC is in your area, then chances are NBN will repurpose that and connect you into that.

Long story short, you'll have a very similar technology type most likely using the existing cabling in your street and home. It'll still likely require a technician to visit and unfortunately, your speeds may increase, decrease or stay the same. Theoretically, they should increase because you should easily be able to achieve 100Mbps but it'll depend on how much CVC (the capacity for your area) that Optus has purchased in your area along with home many people switch over. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@SamSam,

I only recently discovered some residential areas are built with existing fibre networks. The downside with these networks is generally that to connect to the internet you have to use the builder's prefered ISP - usually the builder has signed a side deal to sell expensive access to the internet. That may be what the OP is referring to.

However given the OP is only getting 85Mbps on "fibre" then you might be right that they're confusing HFC and fibre.

@Toals

Do you own your property and have direct control over the ISP you use? By the sounds of it you are not currently on an Optus plan? If you don't mind how much are you paying and for what service (Up and Down speeds? Phone?) When you check your address at the NBN Checker what does it say?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Toals
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. 

I have had for past 13 or so years, Optus optic fibre direct to a box on the side of my house. The feed comes from cabling that was rolled out in my area, pole to pole. In fact, there are two boxes, I assume one is for my Optus cable tv and the other is my broadband internet cable.

Does this change your previous answer?

Regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

This all but confirms by assumption @Toals 🙂 It's not fibre optic cable running to that box on the side of your house, but there's is fibre running to a node somewhere near by your house and then coaxial cable run from there to your house and others on your street which is where the term Hybrid Fybre Coaxial (HFC) comes from, also commonly referred to as cable broadband. 

So really the next thing we need is for you to go to the NBNco website, enter your address and let us know what the technology type is according to that and then we can give better advice as to what changes you could expect.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own