cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor YellowBrickRoad
New Contributor

Optus couldn't get my service working and now wants $202 - How to sort this out????

Retyping the short version of this as it deleted everything when I logged in...

I ordered internet service and Fox TV. Tried for 3 weeks+ to get everything activated but Optus could never get it to work. Spent hours on calls with the call centre. Kept waiting a day or 2 for it to start working. Nothing worked ... ever. I cancelled the services, returned the Fox TV box and moved to Telstra.

Now Optus wants $202. For what???? I said they could have their modem back but the returns bag was only big enough for the Fox TV box. Plus they never gave me the $50 for using all my mobile data for my work while they were trying to get the service running. Kept sending me bills for my internet when I'd reported the issue several times. It's like their departments don't talk to each other.

Call centre and chat people can't help - keep asking me to wait and sorry for my frustration. How do I sort this out once and for all? How can Optus charge me for a service they never got working and when I spent nearly $400 on mobile data from Optus to earn my income during that time (I work from home)?

5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus couldn't get my service working and now wants $202 - How to sort this out????

What does Optus say the $202 is for on the bill? The modem would be one thing but it wouldn't be that much.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor YellowBrickRoad
New Contributor

Re: Optus couldn't get my service working and now wants $202 - How to sort this out????

It's listed as the startup fee. The previous bill was $290 but I complained so they credited me with $90 for the service that I could never use. They can have the modem back - I told them that but they don't seem to want it. I had to buy another one from telstra.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It should get sorted in the end but there's a lot of automation that gets in the way. 

I would suggest you write (pen and paper) to the Optus complaints address (as this is taken seriously). Just request the amounts be recredited and you should hear back in 2 weeks with an official complaint number. It should be worked through. Main thing is you can get on with things.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Charley25
Occasional Contributor

Can you please tell me what is the pen and paper address for complaints as I have sent three via on-line and apart from return email acknowledgment of receipt have not resceived a reponse.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

That should get a response within a week or two and you should also get an official complaint number assigned. 

If they can't resolve it then you're well situated to forward the complaint on to the TIO.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie