cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus changed my phone number

After switching to NBN bs optus unknown to me have changed my phone number and now say it can't be retrieved.

When changing I stressed that I wanted to keep the old number.

The "help" guy told me to talk to my "service" provider.I said I am talking to you as Optus is my service provider.

He said there is nothing I can do.

This has happened to several people I know and suppose countless others.

These guys couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Where to know???,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Lost phone number after nbn switch

After migrating to NBN optus changed my phone number even after I told them to keep it.I stressed this point several times and they said no problem.

They say their records show I didn't ask them to keep it which is totally false.

They even asked if I would like my old number in the White Pages.

I checked and it's in there.

Who in the right mind wouldn't want to keep there old number anyway.

They said they would get back to me which they didn't.

I called again and the guy said my old mumber wasn't in the data base anymore and was irretrievable.

He admitted that a lot of people have lost their old numbers and that some people aren't doing their job properly.Well derr.

It happened to my neighbour as well.He is with optus as well.

The guy at optus said to check with my service provider.I told him wasn't I doing that right now?He said talk to my government.

Thats helpful.

I have contacted the Ombudsman.

BTW.

Why is this Yes crowd thing always saying the volume is too high and try again later.

Probably because optus is over run with complaints like mine.

Optus sucks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Lost phone number after nbn switch

You're definitely not alone. I've also recently transfered from Optus cable to optus NBN and even with the absolute best will in the world my long held Optus provided phone number could apparently not be ported to the NBN. 

From seperate conversations its my understanding that every application to the NBN has a field on the screen where the NBN can type in the phone number to be used. NBNCo just needs to be provided with what that number is. Since every landline number in the country will soon be sorted only via the NBN it seems strange this couldn't happen. Yet I have a new number.

On the flip side, landline numbers are really not what they used to be. There's probably only a few special people that would call you on it and otherwise its outbound calls? Might be time to just move on to a new number? I can assure you that neither the onmbudsman or Optus will lose any sleep over it having been changed.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Lost phone number after nbn switch

Thanks Peter.

I agree that Optus couldn't give a rats as long as they get their money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus changed my phone number

Hey @crankycustomer, really sorry to hear that 😞 Have you received any sort of clarification or update on this? We can take a look, see what's been advised and then discuss options: send through a private message with the full name, account number and DOB and we'll work from there.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors