cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor NM99
New Contributor

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

Not true

I have both Optus ADSL2 and Optus Cable running to the same premises!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor NoelG
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

I have just moved and was recently told by Optus that only ADSL2+ is available in my street. I have just discovered that there is Optus Cable in my street. It is one thing for the Optus representative to tell me that Optus can not offer me cable (which he did not but instead told me there was NO cable in my street), but could only offer me ADSL2+, but instead the facts were misrepresented to secure my business, when in fact Telstra has cable that can be connected to my house. I would have signed up with Telstra instead of Optus. Poor show Optus. I will be pursuing all necessary options to justice. 

Thank heavens for the Telecommunications Ombudsman who would be great assistance to customers who have not been given a fair go by telecommunications service providers. I am also thankful for NSW Fair Trading who can assist, and the consumer protection laws. It is also a good idea to post outside this forum to get the message out in social media. Poor service should not be tolerated, particularly when it relates to services as essential as the internet. Likewise good service should be praised. 

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey @NoelG,

I know it's frustrating mate...but it's not worth having a stroke over. By going to the TIO (Telco. Industry Ombudsman) is like telling little Johnny that you'll DOB on him for the gazillionth time. They don't care, they don't have to be polite to you or me or the little old lady down the street and the TIO are just a bunch of toothless tigers. It's a shame that it has come to this but that's the way it is in this country. All that marketing and buggering about with the 'Yes' slogan shoved down our throats and plastered all over the place is just a load of rubbish, I mean what does the 'Yes' slogan really mean!?

You'd be better off farting in their general direction and moving on, might help alleviate some of the stress that they've caused you as well.

Beetroot
Occasional Contributor NoelG
Occasional Contributor

A free service is provided by the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (the Ombudsman is Judi Jones) to resolve disputes for both residential consumers and small businesses who want to make a complaint about their telephone or internet service. The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s mantra is that their “goal is to settle disputes quickly in an objective and non-bureaucratic way”.

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s website states the following: ‘We are able to handle complaints about telephone and internet services, including by collecting any documents or information relevant to the complaint’. The website goes on further to state ‘We have the authority to decide the resolution of a complaint (the telecommunications company is legally obliged to implement) up to $50,000, and make recommendations up to $100,000’. Is this not just great for the consumer. There is really no need for the consumer to suffer at the hands of a telecommunications service provider!

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman’s website provides information about who they can help and how they can help. I am of the opinion it is a great service for the consumer. Most of the cases referred to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman get resolved even before the Ombudsman’s investigators begin an investigation. 

If a consumer has tried to resolve an issue more than once, or say more than twice, the matter could be referred to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. The service to the consumer is free. Organisations like Optus end up footing the bill for investigations in line with the number and relative importance of complaints that is generated each quarter in regard to issues its customers raise with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. So it is financially in the interests of telecommunications service providers to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. They more the complaint I escalated by the Ombudsman the more it costs the telecommunications Service Provider, which can range from tea of dollars to thousands of dollars. In summation, I am of the opinion that the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is a very good service provided to consumers of internet and telephone service, and is certainly not toothless but is backed up strongly by the law. The telecommunications service providers pay for the complaints that  consumers make to the Ombudsman, but is a free service to consumers. 

Occasional Contributor oz1siiam
Occasional Contributor

I currently have consumer fusion cable, can I transfer this to my company?

the forms either areo nly for mobile or only retail.

Surely I don't have to cancel and pay a new 200 connection fee to move to a company service?

while the address validation including the current cable phone number says I am lucky I can get ADSL2+ , yea!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @NoelG, maybe I can assist with you this one. I understand that your experience with us has been less than specular thus far but I'm happy to complete a couple of checks for you.

We do have a few general guidelines when it comes to cable serviceability. The following factors may impact our ability to service your premises with Optus Cable broadband.

• The premises forms part of an MDU and is not street facing such is in the case of a rear unit or battle axe property
  • Due to the use of overhead cabling, if the cable crosses over a neighbour’s boundary point i.e. their drive way, we'll be unable to provide you with a service
  • The distance from the pole to the premises is over 50 meters in length (from memory)
  • There are spare ports available on the tap

Feel free to send us a private message with your address. If the address meets the criteria I've listed above then I'll gladly organise for a QC to go out and perform a site inspection. Look forward to hearing back.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor K3nW0W
New Contributor

Hi @Dan_C

From your response to Noel, it would seem that what your colleagues have told me is incorrect as being part of an MDU does not mean one is unable to get cable, unless the property is in the rear. 

RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

@K3nW0W These are only general guidelines. Every property must be manually checked as there may be other factors to determine your eligibility. As mentioned in our private message thread, in certain scenarios we are able to offer a connection. We can grab anyone's address and run it past the serviceability team. If the MDU is too large, even the front facing houses cannot be eligible.

I completely understand your disappoint in not being able to get HFC. I can see you have posted across multiple social media channels so please feel free to send me a private message if you still need help with this and I will continue to follow up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor AthanP
New Contributor

I was reading through the forums and was hoping you could help me also. When I search the street address it says cable is available. But obviously not when you enter the full address. Could you arrange a tech drive by for me so I can have this matter resolved. I have all my services currently with Optus and would like to continue it that way. 

Thanks

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.
If not, please chat with us

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors