cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Anty
New Contributor

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

Hi I am in the exact same position. I know i can be connected to cable Internet, but are being told by sales its not availiable. Can you assist me with how I can get a technician to confirm if cable is available at my location. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

Hey @Anty,

I'm sorry for the delay. We'll have to take a look into this for you. Can you please send us a private message confirming your full address, name and contact number? Thank you!

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor DanThaMan
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a similar situation. I am moving into a rental unit on the Gold Coast. The unit does not have a PSTN phone socket. There is coax cable coming into the unit and there is an OPTUS cable modem(DOCSIS 3.0) model = NETGEAR CG3000-2STAUS (Optus branding on the modem) connected to the coax and a phone cable coming out of the modem - as though voice was delivered over coax as well.

I checked my address and only ADSL2 is available(odd as i dont have a phone line to use ADSL?!?!).

From what I can see, it is obvious that Optus Cable was connected at some point recently to this property and yet Optus have no idea about it. I want to know if the cable can be connected and if it cannot, why.

I called and did livechat with Optus more than afew times and got nowhere - Optus service personnel really dont care and simply say over and over, we can offer you ADSL2 - no one wants to go the extra mile and actually provide me with an answer.

I did talk to a tech guy and he said that they pull a database of connection info back from the local council and that I should apporoach my local council to simply tell them to update my address as having optus cable(with no physical check done), and then Optus can refresh the database and magically cable will be available. What a joke. Optus dont even know where their own cable is?

Optus - please advise.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

Hey @DanThaMan, we can look into this for you and if possible update the serviceability of the property. Can you please send through a private message with the full address, name and contact number? Thanks. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor K3nW0W
New Contributor

Hi, 

I’ve also encountered the same issue where a few houses down my neighbour can get cable but I can’t. I tried the live chat, call centre and going to a few stores who always try to sell me ADSL, which I already have.  I hope an Optus rep here can help organise a tech to check for me. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor delitz
Occasional Contributor

I'm also in this same situation. Can someone please assist me 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hi @K3nW0W & @delitz - if your service has an ADSL connection then this is the current infrastructure running to your home and you would not be Cable serviceable.

Generally, there are strict premise requirements for a Cable connection so it wouldn't be as easy as just having neighbours connected to the Cable network.

Happy to double check if you can PM me with your address. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor K3nW0W
New Contributor

Hi AlexRH,

Are you organising a commercial quote or checking the serviceability on your system like your other colleagues to determine the infrastructure available to my home? I can do that through your website so what I would like organised is a commercial quote, which is something your no one in sales is willing to do. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor K3nW0W
New Contributor

Hi all, I thought I'd just update you all on my outcome. Optus "rules" state they do not offer cable to MDUs so if you're in an apartment or townhouse, you're out of luck and have to bear with ADSL or wait for the dreaded NBN. 

It would have been good if such "rules" are published on their Wiki instead of having to post on different threads.

#Optusfail #whomadetherules?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

I'm sorry we were unable to assist in this instance.

For anyone else with a similar issue, I still advise you to get in touch for a serviceability check (feel free to private message me).

Every property is different so we will double check it for you.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors