cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor sanjay
New Contributor

Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

Hi,

I have had no success with Optus' call centre or live chat with this question so I am reaching out to the Crowd, and hopefully an Australian-based Optus support person who actually has some idea of what might be going on.

I am moving into a new rental in Pascoe Vale, on O'Hea Street. All of the other houses on the street have Optus Cable Internet available when using the online Optus self-serve checker. But not my house. The Optus HFC cable runs right past the front of the house (in fact, one of the wooden power line poles is right in the middle of the nature strip in front of the house). 

Optus live chat and on the phone have simply flat-out said "no broadband services available" and not offered to refer me anywhere to, for example, send a technician out to see if an installation is actually possible.

Can anyone on here help me organise that? I would be happy to pay the reasonable costs of the technician visit and installation. ADSL2+ is not really an option as the house is over 3km from the Coburg exchange.

I am desperate for some proper broadband at my new house! Smiley Sad

29 Replies
Occasional Contributor ejoos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

I'm in the same boat as you sanjay!

Everyone around me has Optus Cable and only my house cant get it on the availability checker.

Worst is that when I checked my house 1 month ago I could get it! Now I cant. Smiley Sad

Hope you get a reply from an Optus Rep!

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optus cable not available - can see the HFC cable running in front of house...

Three things I can think of...

1. Optus are actually limiting the number of connections per HFC node in order to prevent congestion, which is what they should have been doing from day 1.

2. The network availibility checking utility that Optus uses may not be working properly.

- Optus, have you tried turning it off and on again?

3. They're all out of cable.

Either way from what you describe, I think you deserve an explanation other than just being told it's not available.

Beetroot
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Hey sanjay - can appreciate how frustrating this would be for you! I've been chatting with ejoos about this very thing. Can you PM your full address and I'll see what we can do? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor sanjay
New Contributor

Hi, I actually (after multiple attempts) actually got through to an Australian in your call centre who organised a tech to do a drive-by last week. My address was added into the Optus database on Monday morning - I placed an order, and as of 3.00pm yesterday we have a full-functioning 30Mbps cable connection in the house - so I am very happy with the outcome. Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor steve_w
Occasional Contributor

I feel for you mate.  I'm trying to get away from Optus.  I have Telstra cable running front of my place and neighbours on either side with service.  But I don't exist for them either.  I've even sent them a google maps streetview with a pic of their cable, had a Telstra tech standing *under* the cable talking to the Telstra brains trust who were adamant the services weren't available.

Aussie telcos.  Morons one day.  Morons the next.

0 Kudos
New Contributor gglen
New Contributor

Did you have to ask for anything in particular to get this tech to do a drive by? Was there a particular number you called?

I'm currently an Optus ADSL customer and my neighbout has a Cable connection but no one from optus (live chat and call centre) seems to be able to help in getting a tech to come out and visit?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @gglen, apologies for the late response. Can you please send me a PM with your full name, contact number and home address so we can investigate this for you?

New Contributor PaulWhitehouse
New Contributor

Hi I am in the exact same position. I know i canhave cable internet, but are being told by tech sales its only ADSL 2+. can you assit me with how i get a technican to confim if cable is available at my location. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Casey_

Hey @PaulWhitehouse, can you please send us a DM with your address and contact number so we can get this organised for you? 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors