cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus cable for back unit house

Hi all,

I've currently been using ADSL2+ with TPG and have been looking to switch to cable for sometime now. 

My block has two units (mine being the rear one), the front house currently has Telstra cable however when i spoke to Optus support, the only thing im told is that my house requires line of sight to the telephone phone to get cable and that there is nothing they can do.

I've spoken to a former technician and said that line of sight was needed between our house and the telephone pole (which our house currently has) and we need a servicability technician to come and confirm this, however none of the Optus customer supports (contacted through phone and live chat) has the ability to call a servicability member to comfirm this for us.

I was wondering how i would go about solving this and if anyone could assist me as having cable broadband would be benficial for my work

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Optus cable for back unit house

Correction and update to the post.

It was the former Optus tech who said since there is line of sight (down the driveway), threfore I should be able to get Optus cable. To do this, Sales or Customer Service would have to get "vic servicability" to do a check of the house and make the cable service avalable. He also showed me the optus cable line and the free port on the box next to my driveway so connection is possible. If I check the first unit (#1 front)  the online system says I can get Optus Cable, while for mine (#2 back) only ADSL. This is ridiculas and it seems there is an autoblock on the Optus system not to give the back unit Cable.

So far I have spoken to and chatted with serveral sales and customer service reps who have not helped. Twice I was told they will send someone to check but this has not happened. Unfortunately, I think a lot of buracracy in Optus seems to not help.

To my surprise unlike Optus, Telstra is willing to come and have a look.

I'm hoping someone has an idea of how to contact vicservicability and get the ball rolling.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey mate,

I’ve found the call centre and live chat frustrating to deal with. Have you tried contacting reps here? They're really helpful, (and AUSTRALIAN)  I’ve found https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/64436 dan_c

i live in a MDU (but the front), nevertheless Dan managed to get the service truck to roll out and ensure servicabilty.

Im not sure how its going to go - as you are rear facing.. from previous conversations, i think you need to fulfill the following criteria? you may be able to get an exemption?

• The premises must be street facing
  • The drop cable must not cross over your neighbours’ boundary point
  • There must be a spare tap on the nearest power pole
  • There mustn't be over 75 meters from the tap to where we'd place the junction box on the outside of your home

I think Telstra do underground installations (so dont mind) optus can only do telegraph pole to houses (unless u do the digging yourself) https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/custom/page/page-id/IntelliArticlePage?id=8200&typename=BROWSE&keyw...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Lagger,

Thanks for your post. A matter of fact the tech who said it was possible to get cable was contacted by me to see if he could do a underground run from the house to the street and onto the power post which is 5 meters away from our driveway. He had done the undeground optus cabling for my uncles new house so I was asking him if he could do it for me. He said it was not required as there is line of sight to the house.

to answer your points.

• The premises must be street facing (Yes)
  • The drop cable must not cross over your neighbours’ boundary point ( it will not. one run straight from the street to my garage over the driveway).
  • There must be a spare tap on the nearest power pole ( Yes there is. 3 used of the 4 or 8 ports )
  • There mustn't be over 75 meters from the tap to where we'd place the junction box on the outside of your home ( will be less than 40 meters in total)

I was supposed to get NBN last year not it has been reschduled for no one knows when. The ADSL is not enough for the Optus Fetch TV, Gaming, Netflix etc. Its just getting too much that in a developed country we are unable to get proper internet connections.

I hope Dan_c can help.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Sorry to hear we have been unable to assist with this one. I believe confusion has been caused by saying you need "line of sight". The main concern here is that your property needs to be street facing. I can see you have said your are in a back unit, but also that you face the street. Just wondering how this is possible? Is there not another unit between your house and the street?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Toomey,

A part of the rear house is street facing down the driveway. I have sent you a PM with pictures that makes it easy to see waht I mean.

Hope this can help is sorting it out.

Regards

0 Kudos