cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Stevo29
New Contributor

Optus broadband connection

We have recently moved to a town house in Grays Point in Sydney’s south and are looking to get Optus broadband cable connected. Before we moved we were told by Optus that this service is not available so we opted for the Vivid wireless product on advice from Optus that it would meet our needs for streaming tv etc. However the 4G service here is so poor we barely get a signal.  

We now know that the Optus cable service is available in our street (our next door neighbour has it) but when we phone Optus sales their overseas operators was from their screens and tell us it’s not available to our area but can’t tell us why. After being transferred to three other operators over the space of two hours and still getting nowhere, we realise this is a futile exercise. 

We think the likely reason for Optus’s response is that our address shows as a unit number which automatically excludes us from cable. However our town house is at the front of the complex with street fronting access and there’s a power pole at the front of the property. 

We need to speak with someone at Optus in Australia as a matter of urgency as we are burning cash on our current Optus Vivid wireless, Netflix, Stan and Fetch.

Could someone please suggest a solution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optus broadband connection

If your neighbour has NBN you should be able to get it also using a HFC connection (like what Foxtel uses). 
However NBN has put a freeze on new connections using that service as there are problems with activation or something. 
I'd give Optus a call again, or Live chat, and ask them to arrange a HFC connection to the NBN for your town house once it becomes available again. 

New Contributor Stevo29
New Contributor

Hi thanks , NBN is not yet available in the area. We called in to the Optus store today and they will arrange for a technician to drive by and assess the suitability of our town house for cable connection. We expect a response within a week. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Stevo29, we do have certain eligibility criteria when it comes to assessing whether a unit/townhouse is serviceable for Optus Cable broadband:

• The premises forms part of an MDU and is not street facing such is in the case of a rear unit or battle axe property
  • Due to the use of overhead cabling, if the cable crosses over a neighbour’s boundary point i.e. their drive way, we'll be unable to provide you with a service
  • The distance from the pole to the premises is over 50 meters in length (from memory)
  • There are spare ports available on the tap

As long as you're street facing and we have ports available, I don't foresee an issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Stevo29
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, we’re still waiting to hear back from Optus but from what you have said it sounds like cable might be a possibility for us. 

Fingers crossed 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor lettej
Occasional Contributor

I'm in the next suburb at Gymea Bay and have Optus cable broadband.  Tonight like most nights, my download speed is 3.1Mbps.  My upload is 0.2Mbps.  Optus can't deliver a decent service to our area,  If you go with them, you won't be able to use Netflix or do any of the things they have said you can.

Shop around before it's too late.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @lettej, I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your connection speed in Gymea Bay. We recommend raising this issue with our Tech Support team so that we can investigate.

0 Kudos