cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor LolaF
New Contributor

Optus blocking my business website

My website (https://www.laurenhannaford.com.au/) is being block by Optus ISP only, with all other networks loading the site fine.

I've contacted the hosting provider and they also point this issue towards Optus, possibly having a DNS caching issue. My site isn't on any blacklists and the firewall isn't blocking Optus IPs etc. I've updated the TTL on my DNS records in hopes this may speed things up, but its been a week so far and still the site wont load on Optus networks.

Has anyone else had this issue and how do you go about getting it solving?

Having subscribed customers to online content, makes for angry emails all day.... and I have no answers for them.

8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus blocking my business website

We can’t have answers unless you can tell us what error message your clients are getting? 

Is it HTTP 404?

is it HTTP 500? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
New Contributor LolaF
New Contributor

All Optus users are getting the below:

This site can't be reached.. took to long to respond
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So Optus aren’t “blocking it”, I’ve just done a test from an Optus cable connection and used a non Optus resolving server. I’m getting the same IP for your server as a tool online.

So it’s not a bad record.

who is your business host? As searching the IP suggests it’s hosted with “securi”? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Occasional Contributor SylviaElse2
Occasional Contributor

See https://ransomwaretracker.abuse.ch/ip/192.124.249.18/

It seems you have the misfortune to be sharing an IP address with some ransomeware sites, and it looks like Optus have blocked the IP address, without regard to the collateral damage. I can't access it from the Optus network either, but I can from elsewhere.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It’s interesting because the IP of the posters server belongs to securi who claims to do malware removal... yet the server is absolutely littered with it... 

0 Kudos
New Contributor LolaF
New Contributor

Thanks guys! Well I can say its hosted with SiteGround (IP Address 146.66.91.14) we are running Sucuri security... but Im thinking getting a dedicated IP address would help solve this issue? Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I would change your A record to bypass securi and see if the problem goes away. IF it does, then you know securi is useless (and very expensive too).

From someone who used to work for a major web host, you don’t need fancy security companies and the like. They are simply proxies that add more problems to the chain of troubleshooting.

there are hosts in Australia who offer great value and support, and proper protections that cheap hosts don’t care about. Hence why shared hosting is a nightmare at the best of times. All it takes is one insecure site to bring the rep of the whole box down.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SylviaElse2
Occasional Contributor

Certainly having a dedicate IP address reduces the chance that you'll be caught by this kind of blocking, though over-zealous ISPs might choose to bock an entire subnet just because a single address is being abused.

0 Kudos