Searching...

Optus and the $65 promo

Richard5653536

Welcome to Optus.

Have you seen the latest promo Optus are runnung? At the Optus shop online you can get a 24 month contact, Samsung Galaxy S7, 7Gb, unlimited calls/texts ($85 plan wtith a $20 credit applied each month for the life of the plan), free European Premier League (I don't want it, but free is free). This deal lasts until the 31st July and given that it's the latest Samsung, I was quite impressed. 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/phones/samsung/galaxy-s7?SID=con:hme:latestSmiley TongueostmobSmiley Tongueselect:gs7:lear...

So I signed up on the 18th of July. If only it were that simple with Optus.

As I scoured the page for the figure of $65, my heart sunk. Not because of the money, but because I knew I would have to enter the labyrinth once again, I would have to call....customer service. In big bold letters I see DUE: $94.67 I searched through the usual overly complicated breakdown of the bill, strange components, ex gst, inc gst, all mashed up in the usual incomprehesible layout. The $20 credit was nowhere to be seen and free EPL? You've got to be kidding, you pay for free subscriptions don't you? 

So I call customer support, agh. Here we go with the run arounds. First person I got had no idea that the promo existed, made it sound like I was asking for something weird, that I was wrong. Luckily the promo still had 3 days left and it was on their website or I'd be SCREWED with their customer support system. So after a back and forth I asked if she had access to the internet, so I could tell her the web address of the optus shop. "Can you see the plan options for the Galaxy S7, See the one that is highlighted as a promo, for $65, but you get the phone and the $85 plan?" That was enough evidence to at least get customer support to initiate the process of trying to help me and understand that the mistake was theirs not mine. Then the inevitable "Sir, can you please hold?" haha. I'm not sure a question is the best method of delivering the bad news that in order to get a solution you NEED to be put on hold for a long, long time. 

"Ok, so we've gone ahead and fixed the problem, your next bill should be for $74"..... says this Optus bright spark. 

"Ok, so there's still a problem because the plan should be $65", I replied. "Yes $65 + you have the EPL, bringing the total to..."

"The promo said that the EPL subscription was free, can you go back to the optus shop, it's written on the promo." 

I'm not sure if I heard a penny drop, but I feel like my case is strong and beginning to make sense. The crux of this theory is that in a market economy, if you advertise a service for a set price, the law requires you to provide this service for the agreed price. It's an elegant system and I believe many understand the concept, but it may not yet have reached the furthest corners of the globe, aka where the call centres are located. 

"ok, I'll look into that, Sir, can I please put you on hold?" lol. You know what? I think that sounds fantastic, let's do it! Completely unaware at the onset of Stockholm Syndrome, I think i'm beginning to identify with my captors and enjoy their call waiting music. 

Finally, I'm told that it's all fixed up. So my bill will show $65? and each month it will be $65? Like what I signed up to? "yes, that is correct."

Of course you know the story, it wasn't, things weren't fixed, i've just been through round 1. 

ROUND 2. 

Repeat round 1, except with a more helpful person, explain it all from the beginning, lots of call waiting, blah blah blah. Repeat the EPL step. HAHA. geez guys, are you sure this isn't a wind up? Have I been punked? Is Optus bored with it's corporate life, the 9-5? Bored with the meetings about how they can oversell bandwidth to the public yet maintain their market position with too good to be true offers? Lashing out in the only way it can think of to have a bit of fun, in this dull existance, by f$*king with customers for a quick lol? 

Nah. They're just disorganised. Though it is funny how the errors always seem to fall in their favour, never ours.... hmmm......

Anyway, apparently my problem is fixed and i'll find out in 24-48 hours. But I suspect that my official welcome to Optus is far from over.

Re: Optus and the $65 promo

Kim1234

Is it possible to get an existing contract upgraded?
I'm paying way more for 4 gigs less and no unlimited EPL

Shae

Really sorry to hear about the experience you've had getting this sorted out Richard5653536. If it's still not resolved after that timeframe has passed, please send me a PM and I'd be happy to look into it with you to ensure it's all as it should be moving forward - Shae 

Shae

Kim1234 - You can definitely look into upgrading the plan, however if you're still in a contract, there may be an early upgrade fee for exiting the existing contract early. If you can give our customer service team a call on 133 937, we'll be happy to look into options with you.

Highlighted

Pickle7

The $65 promo is on again and my shopping cart tells me its $85 a month when I try to order.  I queried it online (as its an online offer).  The person said I can send you a form and sign you up for $65.  I asked if I could just add a promo code in the shopping basket so I would be done quickly.  (I'm on good money and suddenly time wasted is becoming expensive to myself).  So he tells me to place the order and give him the order number and he will simply fix it up which I did.  Well this started a burage of more questions and him sending me a form in any case.  How long will this take I ask?  2-3 minutes.  Now I type at 60wpm so no issues there.  10 minutes later I get the first of many forms.  Then another and I make a point that I have things to do so how long to finalize this purchase? 3-4 minutes he say.  Then another form which starts emails and responses where I'm asked to scan in Drivers licence and the like.  Long story short 1.5-2 Hours later I think I'm done.

I'm now affraid I have 2 plans coming for this as I've filled out everything twice now and this is backed up by all the other people I've ready with similar issues.  Having also signed up other devices and sim and the like I'm starting to reget a move from Telstra to Optus before its even started.  Optus the ball is in your court now to provide a good service if you want to keep customers.

If this goes bad as I'm predicting I'm cancelling everything and moving back.

Alex_H

Hey there @Pickle7 - Definitely not a good experience to have, I'm sorry about that Smiley Sad 

Were you able to get this sorted out since posting here? 

If not, can you please send me a PM with your order/account number, full name and DOB? We'll check it out for you. 

Pickle7

I ordered a Data card 8 days ago and hasnt arrived yet but expecting it anytime so I guess I wont know for a week or 2.

Marie

No worries Pickle7, 

You're welcome to PM us if you still need a hand with this.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petulip

Hi,

Same has happened to me! I signed up Wed 27th July for this promotion and for the last two months have paid the $85. There has been no $20 credit at all. The first bill on the new plan was so bloody confusing so i waited for the next month to see if i could make heads or tails of it. I have definately been charged the full amount of $85. The plan promotion was supposed to run until 31.07.2016.... NOT HAPPY AT ALL! (I see they now have the same promotion running again!)

Also just rang to query and after being on hold for 12 minutes and finally getting through to "Dexter", he said he couldn't hear me and told me i'd have to call back. He then hung up!! FURIOUS!

petulip

Hi Shae,

Can you please help me? Same has happened to me! I signed up Wed 27th July for this promotion and for the last two months have paid the $85. There has been no $20 credit at all. The first bill on the new plan was so bloody confusing so i waited for the next month to see if i could make heads or tails of it. I have definately been charged the full amount of $85. The plan promotion was supposed to run until 31.07.2016.

Also just rang to query and after being on hold for 12 minutes and finally getting through to "Dexter", he said he couldn't hear me and told me i'd have to call back. He then hung up!! FURIOUS!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
31 Kudos