Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Webmail Spam Filter FAQ's

@jawsjaws wrote:
Is it safe to open a Spam email. I thought doing that gives the spam sender access to your address book????

It should be safe, assuming webmail does not have any unknown security hole.

@Vin_YC wrote:
I'd generally recommend not opening Spam emails

Unfortunately Optus in their infinite wisdom make that a requirement if you wish to report spam. 

You can only report spam via webmail and only after opening it.  They really need to fix that limitation.

0 Kudos
itforsenior
Contributor
Contributor

I do not want to open email !!!   Optus Info says...select spam email, hit Report Spam button. This moves email to Spam folder and reports. Where are you coming from Optus? THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.

0 Kudos
jawsjaws
Contributor
Contributor

To any moderator:

Is there any way to have your webmail system updated so that spam emails can be reported to Optus WITHOUT OPENING THEM. Is there anyone we can contact to see if this can be investigated

As others have observed, this is out of date technology and potentially dangerous to users

Sarah_YC

Hi @jawsjaws,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

Happy to forward the feedback to the Optusnet product team although this does not necessarily mean there will be an forthcoming improvement I'm afraid. 

It's just a basic e-mail product with limited support. Each one that comes through just has to be reported as spam with the built in button.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

itforsenior
Contributor
Contributor

Does reporting each one as spam achieve anything, there is no indication that it has registered, it just sits in the Spam folder.   I have achieved acceptable management, I select a bunch of 10 and move to Trash. I have set the Trash folder to clear on shutdown.

0 Kudos
blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, yes,

to mark an email as spam you have to open the email first. The help on Optus webmail says you just have to highlight the email, then you can mark it as spam. That's how it should be but there is a bug in the Optus Webmail system and this doesn't work, you need to open the email before you can mark it as spam.

This is a bug and it needs to be fixed, opening an email is dangerous and you should not open spam emails. There are other bugs, contacts not coming up when you type letters in the address field, not being able to email a list of selected contacts, the wrong number of messages showing in a folder. There are also shortcomings, not being able to insert a picture that's on your PC, no font selection, only 2 sizes of font, etc. So it's a pretty basic email system, but all those other things one can live with.

But not the spam marking issue, you need to fix that, you can't expect us to open emails to mark them as spam.

I've been with Optus for21 years but since Singtel bought Optus out a few years ago everything has gone to hell. Sadly I will have to change to Telstra.

Please respond.

David.

0 Kudos
prfisher
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello I find that with any Spam I see in the Inbox folder i just hover over the email and then click the Right mouse button, This then highlights the spam email without opening it and brings up that list of things you can do.. dont press any of the things in the list, instead you press the Report Spam button twice (2 x )with your cursor to report and permanently delete the spam email. Its gone and not even into the deleted or spam folder it just goes.  It does not open to put your computer at risk.

blucat2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi  prfisher,

Thank you for that post. You have solved our problem. It's a pity no Optus Yes Crowd moderator could know this.

Yes, if you highlight the email with a right-arrow click, then hit the spam button twice, it DOES remove it from the inbox. On my PC it still sends it to the spam folder, but I don't care, I didn't have to open it, which is the main issue. I also found that right click and select spam does the same thing, so that works for me as well. That's a weird bug that selecting it with a right-arrow click enables the spam button, but selecting it by just clicking on the box does not.

Anyway, thank you, and I hope everyone on this list gets notified.

Cheers man, thanks.  🙂

0 Kudos
itforsenior
Contributor
Contributor

Well done prfisher, deserves more kudos.
0 Kudos