Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Optus
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus Webmail Spam Filter FAQ's

Recently, we've noticed an increase in forum topics related to the Optus Webmail spam filter.

The team on Yes Crowd thought it be a good idea to clear the air and offer up answers to some of your most the commonly asked questions.

How do I report spam?

If the email has managed to bypass the automated spam filter, you should always report spam directly to Optus.

You’ll need to use the report spam function via the Webmail User Interface. Spam that’s reported by Optus customers are actioned by the administrators of our spam filter.

Report Spam.PNG

Note: When you report spam, it’s the content within the email that’s being flagged. This may include:

• Suspicious words or phrases
  • Links to untrustworthy websites
  • Images included within the body of the email
  • A suspicious domain name in the senders email address

If you’ve flagged an email as spam, you may still receive emails from the same sender. If we receive a high number of reports from the same sender, the sender’s IP address may be blocked permanently.

Important: Do not forward suspected spam to abuse@optusnet.com.au. If you attempt to forward spam through the Optus network, you are at risk of an account suspension. Our abuse team are responsible for investigating instances of Optus branded phishing . Instances of spam should only be reported via the report spam button.

Additional FAQ's

Q: Do I need to activate the webmail spam filter?

A: No, the webmail spam filter is automatically switched on by default

Q: Can I switch off the webmail spam filter?

A: No, the webmail spam filter cannot be switched off

Q: How do I report an email that’s been incorrectly flagged as spam?

A: If you believe an email from a legitimate sender has been incorrectly flagged as spam, you’ll need to mark the email as not spam. You can also move the email from your spam folder to your regular inbox. Your request will be actioned by the administrators of our spam filter. Follow the steps below:

Not Spam.png

1. Head to the online Webmail portal
  2. Click on the spam folder
  3. Open the email that’s been incorrectly flagged as spam
  4. Click not spam (that’s the envelope icon above the header of the email)

If you’ve tried the steps above and the email is still being sent to your spam folder, the sender can request a review of their email by contacting us at mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au. . Your request will be escalated to the administrators of the Optus spam filter.

Q: I’m attempting to send an email from my Optusnet account, but it’s being rejected as spam

A: If you believe that an email you’ve sent has been incorrectly blocked, follow the steps below to have your email reviewed:

1. Send the original email ‘as is’ to mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au
  2. Send a separate email to mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au explaining your issue. You’ll need to reference the original email in the subject line. Remember to include your contact details and explain the purpose of the original email

Q: I’ve lost access to my Optusnet email or my Optusnet email account has been suspended

A: : If you’re unable to access your Optusnet email account, message us via the My Optus app. You can also call the team directly on 133937. We’ll investigate and confirm why your email account has been suspended. If your account has been comprised or has been identified as sending spam on the Optus network, we’ll need to send you a temporary password. We’ll then ask you to follow our steps for changing your email password.

Q: Can I use a third-party spam filter in addition to Optus spam filter?

A: If you have a Gmail or Hotmail account, you can add a POP3 account which you can use to send and receive emails from your Gmail or Hotmail account. In addition to the Optus spam filter, emails will also be filtered by spam filtering services offered by these providers.

Most internet security/antivirus software providers also offer spam filtering solutions which will offer an additional layer of protection.

Remember

Spam Filters aren’t fool proof. As the technology used to identify spam evolves, so do the methods used by spammers. We’re continuing to improve the security and overall Webmail experience for our customers.

If you have any other questions, or you have any feedback. You’re welcome to leave a comment in this thread 🙂 

18 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Webmail Spam Filter FAQ's

Can you confirm if moving email from the spam folder does or does not trigger a manual review by Administrators. The wording mostly seems to imply that only using not spam will trigger an administrator review, but its not 100% clear.

I have serious privacy concerns about admins reading the content of my email marked as not spam, and I would have expected automated systems to be used and not human. I've had power bills and superannuation emails caught by the spam filter.

And who knows what else I've missed because it was eaten by the spam filter without me even knowing because I am apparently expected regularly check the spam folder in webmail even though my primary access method is POP3.

How long is spam kept in the spam folder?

And lastly, both image you have are incorrect. The first is for the old zoo webmail interface, and the second is for report spam, not not spam.

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi there @YetAnotherAcc, I've raised your query regarding the not spam webmail feature to our  management team to review. We'll aim to have an update for you as soon as possible. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
itforsenior
Contributor
Contributor

I still need to delete the spam email. If I hit Delete it just sits in the Deleted folder. So I move it to Trash which I have set to Empty on Exit.

0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Hi there, @itforsenior.

It's correct that the emails will still need to be deleted as per the normal process. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

jawsjaws
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot activate the report spam button.  It won't highlight the button and doesn't look like the menu bar you have shown

Here is mine 

jawsjaws_0-1610520668133.png

This is with a message in my inbox ticked.

Also, my wife's user account has suddenly had a 5-10 fold increase in spam in the last few weeks.

Can you help with both issues?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jawsjaws wrote:

I cannot activate the report spam button.  It won't highlight the button

You have to open the mail before the button can be clicked.

the button and doesn't look like the menu bar you have shown

Both images in the original post are incorrect (now fixed).

0 Kudos
itforsenior
Contributor
Contributor

HelloJawsjaws. My spam button was grated out but is now working?? Webmail spam filter does not achieve much, I get near zero spam emails on iPad.

Buttons on original post look different as they are showing what you see when you hover mouse.

0 Kudos
jawsjaws
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the two answers. The button does work when I open the email.

Is it safe to open a Spam email. I thought doing that gives the spam sender access to your address book????
0 Kudos
Vin_YC

Hi @jawsjaws, I'd generally recommend not opening Spam emails to avoid any unsolicited attachments from being opened.  It is much safer to delete the unopened email and remove it from the trash folder.  

Alternatively, you are able to report scam emails to aid in the filter's effectiveness.  More info on this can viewed at Reporting hoaxes, phishing or scams.

Unfortunately, once someone has your email address, it is difficult to stop them from sending you emails. The Internet security: Spam, spyware & viruses guide will provide some good tips and tricks to follow.

Update: The images in the original post have been corrected, thank you YetAnotherAcc.

Top Contributors