Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Tower Upgrades resulted in 1/4 download and upload 4G Wireless

The 4G towers in Meadowbrook QLD recently were offline for over a week, after completion the Network Status page highlighted a "Fault" in the Meadowbrook area which is still shown. Since the upgrade I have pretty much lost connectivity to the Griffith University Optus 700, 1800 Mhz tower and now 1.33Km away can only connect on Band 28 or Band 3 with 1/2 download speeds sometimes as low as 5Mbps of an evening when previously on Band 21 and Band 18 at both the University and Tana Merah towers. I am running a B818 with Dual MIMO External directional 12Db gain antennas to get these speeds, without external connection its below 1Mbps and pretty much worse than the NBN service I cancelled. What's going on with eNB 90844 and eNB 93073 towers ? 

Where id the RFNSA site 4131002 for the Griffith University on Band 1 go, it was really fast and only 900m away without obstacles ??

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Tina_YC

Re: Optus Tower Upgrades resulted in 1/4 download and upload 4G Wireless

Hey @Posty4131, thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry you're having issues with your services. 

I've checked our Network page and I can see they're currently performing maintenance and upgrade works on the tower located near Shailer Stake school. 

This work is expected to be completed by 21-04-2021. While we're working on it, there may be some service interruptions, but we'll do our best to minimise this. Your service also shouldn't be affected for the entire duration of the work. Apologies for any inconvenience caused during this time but appreciate your patience. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tina, not sure if Shailer Park is impacting Tanah Merah 90844-LTE but haven't had good connections for a few weeks ?
0 Kudos
Tina_YC

The tower located near Shailer Park would also impact customers living within Tanah Merah as well. 

The dates we give you will let you know when the work is scheduled to finish – but doesn’t mean your service will be out that whole time. It really depends on the complexity of the work and may result in the tower being taken offline more than once, but we'll try to keep disruptions to a minimum. Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Posty4131Posted response on the other thread.

BTW as it's going to take a while to fix I would put in a formal complaint to get re-reimbursed for the monthly costs since the problem started until it is fixed otherwise you will make a formal TIO complaint as you are paying for a service that optus is not able to a quality that you expect.

0 Kudos
Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah the bills just keep coming but the service continuity doesn't ...
0 Kudos
Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the Update Tina but I got the same message for March, that the upgrade would be finished by late March, then I registered on the network status for updates after a further week of fault rectification. Now its 3rd week in April so I don't feel too confident.

I'm happy that things are upgrading which will benefit all the 5G phone users close to those towers but I liken this to renting a car for $75.00 a month. Sometimes it runs slow while people pass you wondering why you are in the slow lane. Then all of a sudden you catch up with everyone, then the car just stops while you wait patiently for the car to start again. Everyone just stares and goes around you. So you try leaving after everyone has gone home hoping to get a clear run but you can only travel on the motorway at 15Km/h after 6PM the whole way home and just before midnight you suddenly hit 100Km/h like someone turned on the turbocharger ?

Now picture yourself in that situation and change the word CAR to INTERNET and welcome to 4G 2021...

I canned NBN after waiting 10 years because they put the FTTN Node over 2KM away in another suburb and 4G was my only hope to enter the 50th Best Internet country in the world.

People in Serbia and 48 other countries must still be laughing...

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - is the B818 set for Auto Band Selection and if so have you done any power resets during your testing so that the modem does a fresh survey of the optimal frequency to use?

Does your modem show eNB cell numbers or do you have a reference site to access these? My Huawei 4G only shows the Cell ID number and I assumed it was being connected to a cell tower 1.2 km away on the southern side of my home with disappointing 1-20 Mbps download speeds only to discover a few weeks later, that actually I had another Cell Tower 600 metres away on the opposite side of the home which improved speeds to 50-70 Mbps.

As a matter of interest, what is the modem showing for its connection statistics Band, Bandwidth DL and UL (10/15/20 Mhz) , Channel Aggregation Status (assume OFF with these speeds) RSRP, RSRQ, RSSI, SINR etc and how do these figures compare to readings in a mobile Phone when it is set into Field Test Mode - Apple and Android have codes to input into the dial pad to set the phone into FTM.

It is strange that work would take three weeks and not impact other 4G LTE mobile phone or data users. To improve matters during this period, during this temporary period, if practical have you considered experimenting with moving the modem and the directional external antenna to see if signals improve.

0 Kudos
Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mkrtich, I have tried both Manual and Auto band selection using the LTEHMonitor app. Sometimes it connects to band 23 and sometimes on band 3 (1800Mhz). Done too many power resets to remember. I have been using both ACMA and RFNSA and Cellmapper.net to determine towers. Only 2 are available North/NE from my antenna location, the eNB 90844 for band 3 eNB 90873 for Band 1. The Griffith University at 933metres away is now shown on Cellmapper but does show in RFNSA 4131002 https://www.rfnsa.com.au/4131002
Apparently supports Bands 700, 1800Mhz but never connects on either only the 90844 tower 1.4km away.

Today on Band 3 for eNB tower 90844 I am getting RSRP -68, RSRQ -4dB, RSSI -51dB, & SINR 5.0dB
All of which have been better in the past on band 1 and band 3. Optus speed test app is giving 4.2 Mbps down, 19ms ping with 62ms Jitter. Late last night I tried was was getting -68 RSRP with 10SIGN and -10 RSRQ and around 70Mbps download.
My mobile today outside is connecting to tower 90844 also with RSRP -107dB. The directional antenna is are the rear of our property and can rotate from West to East. There is another close tower to the West supporting Optus for the Hospital but the signals were worse as its blocked by terrain and the TAFE buildings. They must be doing something to the 4G because those speeds are pretty bad for 4G Internet. The Optus network status page for our address just says:

"There's an issue with one of our mobile towers in this area.
We're working hard to fix the problem, until we do, your mobile service may experience some issues. Thanks for being patient with us."

Since late March when the tower upgrade was apparently complete. It quickly followed with a fault and now this message.
Tina above said there might be some interruptions but I believe the actual wording should be that there are some points of access available some of the time..
0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. Memory recall - I forgot to mention that my Huawei is the B525s-65a, so it doesn't show eNB XXXXX but actually a Cell ID and PCI - my friend has a B818 and I think I can remember seeing eNB's on his screens. 

You have impeccable signal indicators for eBN 90844 - you are in the Excellent range - may be the external antennae contributing there.  Your mobile connected the same eBN 90844 has far worse  RSRP - quite a difference. If Optus is still conducting works at the closer Griffith University site, maybe your modem is getting vectored a higher quality signal from 90844. Perhaps the RFNSA web site is not up to date as you say, not showing B1-2100 Mhz on its map. 

The ACMA Map shows all the licences for frequencies on the Optus Tower Auditorium Building - I typed Meadowbrook into the Search window and selected Griffith University. B1 - 2100 is there.  The Licences have been allocated, maybe the current work has made it temporarily in-operational. 

https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/site_proximity.main_page 

In case of interest, you may already have a table  - this is a short presentation on LTE signal quality measurements from the inventor of Poynting Antennae with a reference table at the end of the clip. There are some minor differences between various published tables on the Internet - I am not sure if that is due to the actual 4G LTE modem chips used but your figures are excellent - only minor issue is the SINR which on some table references comes up as Poor, but I don't think that is a contributing factor to your current situation as I have had worse SINR figures than yours.    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5wApfZSjw 

Perhaps there is a congestion issue during the Optus rectification works. Wireless networks are full of mystery. I was really impressed with Huawei B818 - great solid performance at Mount Cotton which was unexpected - usually around 100 Mbps sometimes to 300 Mbps according to my friend - its very hilly there but maybe aided by not too many subscribers in the area. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors