cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Optus Supplied Wi-Fi Modem Poor Upload Speeds - Max 20Mbps (Sagemcom Fast 5366 LTE)

Hey All,
On my second day with my new Optus FTP connection. with the Optus supplied Sagemcom Fast 5366 LTE Wireless Modem.

Apart from being forced to get a Launtel connection on NBN port 2 so I have a usable NBN connection while Optus figures out why my connection is so slow, I have also discovered the Wi-Fi upload speed is hobbled if I run the Launtel connection through the Optus supplied router.

I tried have the 1000/500 plan with Launtel. While wired I get the advertised speeds. Over Wireless, whether 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz, I get a max upload speed of 20Mbps (download speeds are fine).

If I run the Launtel connection straight through my old Netgear wireless router I get over 150 Mbps upload on 5Ghz wireless (the poor old router can't handle any more).

It is obvious the limiting factor is the Optus supplied wireless modem. 

Is this normal for Optus supplied routers? If so, why? 

Cheers
Mick

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Supplied Wi-Fi Modem Poor Upload Speeds - Max 20Mbps (Sagemcom Fast 5366 LTE)

Hi again Mickey,

Hopefully someone has an answer but I'd also recommend making a post in whirlpool. There's a lot of cluey network people there happy to provide some thoughts and possibly an answer.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Supplied Wi-Fi Modem Poor Upload Speeds - Max 20Mbps (Sagemcom Fast 5366 LTE)

I recall seeing other people report uploads capped to 20Mbps in general, not just for wifi and needing the operator to perform a "remote reset" of the router to get it fixed. 

I suggest connecting it to the Launtel  port and doing a factory reset and see if that affects the speed. Then when you reconnect it to the Optus port see if speed gets nobbled again, and if so it means its remote configurations are stuffing you up.

mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc , I'll give it a go

0 Kudos
mikeyjames2
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey @YetAnotherAcc 

Thanks very much, your idea worked.

Cheers

Mick

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thanks. Good to know.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors