Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus Product Request - Pause your Internet contract

Hi Optus,

Just noticed some big billboards from another Telco advertising the option to pause your home  internet contract when you go overseas. 

This is something that Optus can already do, but have decided to limit it to only Australian Defense Personnel. 

Forcing customers to pay for a service they're not using always seemed unfair and aggravating some of your potentially wealthier customers (aka jet setters) just seems counter productive? 

Perhaps Optus could look at introducing this capability soon?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

9 Replies
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Optus Product Request - Pause your Internet contract

I agree and I am not a wealthy Optus customer.

In the winter I am usually away for around 3 months with my caravan in FNQ.  I then use mobile broadband which if Optus were to offer a reduced mobile broadband plan for this time, or a reduction in my home broadband costs, would go a long way to settling my annoyance at paying for something I am not using.

Well done Peter for opening this up for consideration.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The issue is that if you are on NBN then NBN will still have to be paid the port cost even if you dont use it for that month.

Perhaps they can lower you to 12/1 for the month - but NBN may also charge a fee to do so on this.

I dont think NBN as a wholesaler offers a way to suspend the NBN service - would need clarification if they do this.

0 Kudos
Davelew
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Yes, I considered they would still pay for the NBN Connection so that is why I thought a discount on the mobile broadband could be offered.

Would be a gain for them as at present I don't use Optus for the mobile broadband.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hadn't thought of then NBN impact. 

Went and looked closer at the competitor PAUSE BILLING option and its 4 weeks only every 24 months. So better than a kick in the teeth but probably more just a cost the RSP swallows if its used. If the monthly internet bill equals NBN Connection + NBN CVC + Profit then they only lose money on the connection fee which might be $20? for the month. 

Again though, Optus has many instances at the moment where they're looking to cash in rather than improve the customer experience. Here's a case of losing a few $ off the bottom line to give the customer a feeling of some control.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Port cost + AVC ranges from $24 for 12/1 to $34 for 100/40

Add in $10 for tc1 for phone

Plus other  costs ontop of that, absorbing that may just make customers non viable over 24 Months.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@GTFO

So port and avc are both unavoidable connection costs?

Regards 

PeterGillespie

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

That is correct. 

CVC is shared but port and avc are unique to each connection. 

Easiest way would be to get a month to month plan and turn it on and off as required.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks

If I can turn a M2M plan off an on then all I am really doing is asking a RSP to turn it off and on. While the NBNCo may not have a 'pause' option it seems they're happy to stop charging on demand and later start charging on demand?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

All hard to determine - easy to offer if its your own network, but unfortunately if your on NBN then they also want to be paid.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors