Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus NBN and 3CX

Has anyone managed to get Optus NBN voip to work on 3cx.

I have all the SIP information and can receive calls through 3CX but cannot make any calls.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
38 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus NBN and 3CX

Have you set up the outbound proxy?  See here for proxy details.

0 Kudos
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Thanks for replying.

I have set up the out bound proxy to 210.49.224.69 and the port as 5060.

When I try to dial out its just silence and then it says call failed.

I dont know if I need to change some settings in the outbound parameters of the 3cx SIP trunk set up

0 Kudos
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Are you forwarding 5060 to your 3CX device and disabling SIP ALG if your router has it?

And yes, that's me on whirlpool.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Best I know, Optus don't allow any VOIP.
0 Kudos
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes I have done that.

Im currently running my NBN --> Optus Router --> TP Link Archer --> 3cx machine

I am port forwarding and have disabled SI ALG on the TP Link Archer and have port forwarding on both routers.

What I cant figures out is I can receive calls, but cant make them. I think it may be related to the 3cx outbound parameters, but I cannot find enough information about what optus requires and they are not helpful.
0 Kudos
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying.

I guess its not VOIP per se, but it is SIP trunking. So I can get 3cx to receive calls through optus, but not make them.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndH wrote:
Im currently running my NBN --> Optus Router --> TP Link Archer --> 3cx machine

Two things come to mind with that setup:

1) As you are still using the Optus router AND its before the 3cx machine the Optus router may still be processing (or is interfering with) the VoIP data. Forwarding 5060 should have mitigated that, but as the Optus router is designed to handle (i.e. consume) VoIP data so it may still be interfering with it. For testing, try putting the 3cx in the DMZ instead of port forwarding to it.

2) The Archer is an unnecessary variable for testing, so connect the 3cx directly to the Optus router during testing.

Is the reason you are using the Optus router because you are on FTTN/FTTB and need to use its modem and the Archer does not have a modem?

What I cant figures out is I can receive calls, but cant make them.

I'm guessing that inbound gets through the Optus router due to port forwarding so the 3cx receives and processes incoming calls fine, but outbound calls are initiated on LAN and they don't get forwarded (as that's for inbound), so on the way out the Optus router is blocking it because its VoIP system processing is still active at its blocking or consuming it.

I think it may be related to the 3cx outbound parameters, but I cannot find enough information about what optus requires and they are not helpful.

What other outbound parameters options does the 3cx have? Can you provide a screenshot?

Based on Sagemcom 3864 v3 not having any outbound config other than as shown here, I don't know what other parameters there could be.

Image1.png

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - you have an interesting configuration. I think matters may be simplified if you temporarily removed the TP Link from the chain to see if an outgoing call makes it through to the Public Telephone Network after you check your Outbound Rules programming settings. This is not a low level VoIP application like an ATA but a SIP Trunk configuration on the 3CX which is a PBX capable of multiple lines and multiple extensions - your VoIP phone or softphone is an extension of the PBX. 

This is a good overview of how to set up a SIP Trunk for Direct Indialing and an Outbound rules in the 3CX PBX. I don't know if Optus is a pre-registered in 3CX's IOT (Inter-Op)  list of VoIP providers which get auto templates applied when using the 3CX Checker. If not then, as the video says, the configuration may become more complex. You may have completed all these steps already. I was impressed with the YouTube clip - very clear and done by an Aussie! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eb2ZlqnC8 

Top Contributors