Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus NBN Connection

I've been on the Optus Cable for 15 years with Broadband + Home Phone and Optus TV. I did have an old Telstra copper pair

connection before I transferred to Optus, but that was removed several years ago during a storm with thanks to a rather large

tree. It was never replaced. No need from me and no interest from Telstra.

With the NBN now advising my premises will be ready for connection in late December, does the old telephone line need to

be reinstalled. Seems the NBN believe it will need to be, but isn't something they do. If I decide to go with an Optus NBN plan

will I be charged for the installation of the copper pair from the NBN  FTTC point of connection to my home and at what cost?

I've switched my Optus TV featuring Foxtel service to Foxtel Satellite since receiving advice from Optus that Foxtel would no longer be provided via Optus NBN.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus NBN Connection

Good question! If they do charge you, it'll be $300 😞 According to this link, standard installation is free of charge. Just depends if this is standard or not. You'll definitely need the copper connected up again I just don't know if they'll charge you for it sorry. You should definitely be told about it before going ahead though so you'll have the facts before signing anything.

Also worth noting, as you're on Optus cable expect a letter very shortly after (or before) the FTTC becomes available to advise Optus will be shutting their cable service down within 3 months. It'll likely sound like you need to move to NBN with Optus however that's not the case, regardless of if you're in contract or not. You'll be free to shop around and get the best deal for you however there's also nothing stopping you from stick with Optus, especially if they've been good to you over the years

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Blog Author

@MadMick

When we place a new NBN order for an FTTN, FTTB and FTTC service, we'll be asked to select the line we wish to provision the service on.

The lines are denoted with a unique "CPI" identification number.

If we're unable to find a line, we'll be asked to go ahead with a "new line installation," which may incur the $300.00 new line installation @sam Sam mentioned.

This is a fee that Optus are charged by NBNco, it's then passed down to the customer. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @Dan_C

We have the same challenge where we dont have a Telstra lead into a relatively newly constructed house. We have been Optus cable ever since it was deployed in the area. NBN is now being installed in our street and we will soon receive a notification on it being ready. It is FTTC for our street.

Where can we find the information on the method/options installing the copper lead where it does not exist? Do they tunnel or dig through the driveway etc? Also is it possible to get a fibre instead of a copper?

Cheers

Girish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey Girish, in this instance you would need to pay the $300 NBN new development fee. The only other option would be to get a new ADSL like installed before getting NBN but the charge would be the same.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi SamSam,

Thanks for your reply. I'll make a decision on what to do when the NBN gets closer. December 28 is the date proposed for completion at the moment. Wireless Broadband is looking the likely choice right now.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@MadMick, if at any stage you need a hand, please don't hesitate to message myself or one of our other moderators on the forum.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos