Searching...
Highlighted

Optus Huawei 4G B525 router operate all devices in WiFi isolation?

tasmanianguy

Hi,

Recently received an Optus Huawei 4G Router B525.

All the laptops, iPads are connected fine to the Huawi 4G Router B525, including the Brother MFC printer connected to the WiFi network.  The configuration sheet for the printer tells me it is connected.  However the laptops or the iPads will find the Brother MFC printer on the network.

I was wondering if this is because the Optus Huawei WiFi network operates every network device in isolation e.g. wireless isolation?

Cheers,

Re: Optus Huawei 4G B525 router operate all devices in WiFi isolation?

Jeneral__Pain

No, the device does not operate in WiFi isolation mode.

I have similar issues with my Brother MFC on a Ubiquiti ACAP-Lite hardwired access point.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

tasmanianguy

Thanks for the quick reply, I wonder why the printer cannot be seen from any device then on the WiFi network the Optus Huawei 4G B525 provides?  Would the easiest fix would be to buy an access point, connect it physically to the Huawei and setup the printer and connect only the devices that are needed to print to the access point, and include the printer on the same access point.

Jeneral__Pain

Could you not plug the printer into the Huawei? 

I had the exact same problem you had with my fixed network at home.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

PercyBottle

I'm having a similar problem. I also have the Huawei B525 modem. In my case the printer is a HP Envy 4524. I can get the printer to work successfully for a limited time. If the modem has been reset/restarted within the last day or so, all my devices can see the printer and send jobs to it. But after a day or so, it disappears from the network. The printer itself thinks it's still connected according to the display panel, but all my devices can't find the printer and think it's offline. When I reset the modem, all the other devices can once again see the printer and send jobs to it, for another day. Then it disappears again. Restarting the printer makes no difference; it's only a modem reset that fixes the problem temporarily.

As a work-around, I've turned off wifi and DHCP on the B525 and connected my old modem (used with a previous ISP) via ethernet to the B525. I use the old modem as the DHCP server and wifi access point. With this arrangement, the printer stays visible all the time. 

This issue has been escalated to the Optus network team, so I'll see if they come back with any suggestions.

Mkrtich

Could this be a case of the DHCP Server lease for the printer expiring within the Router? Is it possible to set a fixed IP Address for the printer within the B525 and also assign that address manually within the printer instead of it getting auto assignment which will expire maybe daily and attempt to re-lease a new IP address? Sometimes devices will link to the printer's Wi-Fi Direct Hotspot , Apple AirPrint or HP ePrint instead of their network address causing some confusion to users.

PercyBottle

Thanks for the reply, but I've tried a fixed IP address already, and turned off wifi-direct. No change.

Mkrtich

Could be an issue that will be resolved with a future firmware update. Interesting that it only occurs with Wireless Printers which are generally 2.4 Ghz only enabled. Is the Printer locked into the discrete 2.4Ghz band of the Router or is the B525 set to a common SSID for the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands? I am assuming it can be set to broadcast both SSIDs separately.  

PercyBottle

The B525 is using both bands, with different SSIDs. The printer only supports 2.4GHz.

[ Edited ]
Mkrtich

This one is out of left field. The Huawei B525 is a modern Dual Stacked IPv4 and IPv6 Router and maybe in its implementation of this feature, it works for a while but when the Printer goes into sleep mode, it struggles to wake it up and get a successful connection to the printer. Hopefully a future firmware update may address this issue. 

When the printer is Wi-Fi connected to an old modem which is linked by ethernet as an Access Point to the B525, the old modem - does it support IPv4 only or does it also have Dual Stack IPv4/IPv6 support ?

Does the Printer have a Settings option that indicates its support of IPv6 or can you turn IPv6 off - seems it is happy with older modem which, if for example is over 7 years old, may be native IPv4 and not support IPv6. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
66 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos