Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor shultz
New Contributor

Optus Home Wifi internet fail

2086. Been using Optus home wifi for over a year. Very few problems until July 1st. Since then it's been a disgrace. Very very slow at night, and constant dropouts, some lasting several hours. It's obvious that this problem is widespread, yet when you chat online to optus (or call them after waiting a hour) they always refuse to acknowledge any issues.

Prior to July 1st the speeds were only slow during heavy rain. Now it's impossible to stream tv or play online games during the evening. They have obviously severely cut their network capacity to save money. Hopeless. If anyone from Optus is reading this, I can only say one thing - Your service is FAR from acceptable. I wouldn't even rate the service 1 out of 10. My connection has dropped out twice (requiring a modem power recycle) whilst I've been writting this! A dial up 56k modem would give me a better service at the moment. Your market share in Australia is shrinking very fast for ONE reason only - your service is BAD. It's so bad it's makes our prime minister look like an honest bloke in comparison.

As Telstra are now offering similar home wifi deals, (40gig per month for $70 as opposed to Optus 50gig for the same price) I will be signing up with Telstra.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Optus Home Wifi internet fail

Is this Optus Home WIreless Broadband?

The current plan gives you 200Gb of data

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-wireless-broadband/plans#Plans

The old 50Gb plan was removed 5th September last year and replaced by a 200Gb service.

For your post code I can see that Optus has upgrades pending for the tower thats at Forrest High School, so this may help - not sure when there will happen so will need to check with Optus on that.

I had the Home Wireless Broadband service since it launched and found that the router palcement was very critical in getting good - reliable speeds, moving it around the house to different locations gave different results so thats something you can try.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor shultz
New Contributor

Re: Optus Home Wifi internet fail

I am still on the 50g plan, but that doesn't matter since I could never usen 50g right now with such a poor connection. I am starting to ignore the local maintenance page data as there is ALWAYS something on there with a problem. My issues have been ongoing for over a month. The online and voice help at Optus is a joke. I am mainly writting this to let other optus user know what a lousy service I am getting. From what I am reading on public forums, Optus have major capapcity issues right now, and refuse to admit the problem is theirs.

0 Kudos