Searching...

Optus Cable to a subdivided lot - could get it 1 month ago, now i cant.

[ Edited ]
ejoos

Hi All,

I have been reading through all the different posts and responses relating to similar "Optus Cable going to townhouse/unit" type questions but haven't found one with my specific circumstance.

Just bought a newly built house on a subdivided lot in Altona North, VIC.

1 Month ago I checked the Cable availability and it said that I could get Optus Cable - thank god as the ADSL coverage would have been terrible.

Now that I have date that I would get the keys, I try to organise for the Cable to be installed, behold, the only Optus service I can get on the availability checker is Wireless. 

I spoke to Optus and got a downright no, we can not deliver Cable to your residence as you have a Unit number in your address.

Surprised and confused, I turned to the internet for some answers.

I had explained, it is a free standing house on a subdivided lot.

The developer bought two full lots, combined them both, and built a total of 6 units (effectively 3 units per lot) and created a driveway down the middle.

Now I know this might be hard for the sales rep to understand as the address now doesnt exactly show clearly that there are only 3 units per lot of land when you do an address lookup.

From what I have read on this forum it seems that you can indeed get Optus Cable if there is a maximum of 3 units on the lot - I'm really hoping that this is the case given my circumstance as there are only 3 units on my lot. 

In addition to this, as it is a new building, there is an underground conduit already laid for the phone lines which go directly to the curb.

Does anyone have any info on the feasibility of this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Optus Cable to a subdivided lot - could get it 1 month ago, now i cant.

JeneralPain

Hopefully a moderator will see this and can arrange a commercial quote to install cable to the premises. The problem with units is, it goes to all or it goes to none. And developers do not think about installing services they just want their money. 

It will be a struggle because if your in the back corner, then your cable has to run down past all the other units and the length could be too long for it to work properly etc. 

As for your comment "it worked a month ago", I'll bet if you used 1 STREET NAME SUBURB it will work because the street has cable at a street level, but because the developed individual units on the sub divided block which are now 1/1 and 1/1A STREET NAME for example, are not in Optus system because the developer never engaged any carriers to supply service.

Jeneral Pain
(Nb: I'm not an Optus staffer, affiliate or in any way connected to Optus beyond being a Cable broadband customer)

ejoos

Hi Jeneral Pain,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately enough though that I am not the last house in the corner and am the second house.

The builder has created a conduit to the curb probably for Telstra to connect up their cabling for telephony and I'm hoping that will be able to be used by Optus to connect my home.

Really hope an Optus moderator will assist with this.

Thanks!

JeneralPain

Telstra copper conduit is not big enough to handle HFC cable. 

You'd be best off going to their FB page, linking this post and asking for their help.

Jeneral Pain
(Nb: I'm not an Optus staffer, affiliate or in any way connected to Optus beyond being a Cable broadband customer)

ejoos

Good idea. I'll give that a shot! To be honest, I dont really know what type of conduit it is. 

I'll head out there on Saturday and have a look. From memory there were a few different cables spilling out of it.

Gen_R

Hey ejoos - thanks for reaching out, very sorry for the late reply to your message though. In terms of installing Cable, the property has to have street frontage for us to run the coaxial cable from the access point on the street to your property. If you're behind another house and don't have street frontage, we may not be able to provide you a service.  Happy to take a look though if you'd like to PM through the address. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Highlighted

ejoos

Thanks for the reply Gen_R, will send you a PM now.

Gen_R

Legend! 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos