cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Cable in a Unit

Hi, I am just wondering doe Optus install cable into Units?  Is there a special request to see if this can be done?  Currently stuck on ADSL2+ and where I am, my speed sucks.  Just want to know if a special request can be submitted to see if I can get cable?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus Cable in a Unit

unless the infrastucture is already there, then the answer is almost certainly no. Optus sold their cable network to NBN so won't be looking to extend it at all. Is there cable already in your street? 

Alternatively, there's quite a few mobile broadband plans with decent inclusions that could offer far superior speeds to ADSL if you can keep your downloads in check

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hey, thanks for the response.

Yes cable is already available in the street.  The units are fairly new and there was (according to the address checker) cable available at the address before they were turned to units, and its available next door still.

Im wondering whether it would be possible to get it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I believe Optus has a rule that they don't connect multi dwelling units (which is what you've described) but I could be wrong. If you're super keen contact sales and request for a tech "drive by". This results in a tech coming out and taking a look at where the cable is in the street compared to your place and how much effort would be involved to connect you. If it's straight forward, they will update the system so your address reflects that it's available and you can place an order. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info.

My unit is the front one, and by itself.  Not attached to any other units.

I believe it would be straight forward to connect it, but im not the tech doing it.  Sales can assist with a tech to inspect it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yeah unfortunately how easy or difficult it is doesn't give them the ability to work around the business rule of not connecting units (again, that's if I'm remembering that right). But yes, sales can help because it's not a fault request it's a tech going out to confirm/deny if they can make the sale or not. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was in the same boat.

Previous address had optus cable, then got turned into units, im the front unit/townhouse

Dont bother with calling the call centre, they regurgitate the same script about not servicing MDU's.

I tried both their call centre and their online live chat.

Best way to get your foot in the door is talk to one of the helpful  Optus reps on the forum (I got into contact with Dan_C) and he arranged a drive by - by a techo, to check if its feasible, then arranged for their call centre to call me to get my signed up. Tech came out two weeks later i had cable 🙂

Simples 😄

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, but I spoke to someone yesterday on the live chat (Les), and he advised that as I was on the front unit he could arrange a drive by to see if it could be done.  Not getting my hopes up, but I am the front unit, no other units attached, and the cable would not be over any shared property. 

He advised to hopefully have an answer today, which would be great.

But thanks for the information, it helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Diggles

Let us know how that goes. 

Did the agent offer to follow up with you once they've confirmed the result with our Cable serviceability team? 

You're always welcome to PM myself or one of our other mods.

We'll gladly follow up for you 🙂 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Dan_C Thanks for the info Dan_C.

Les from the live chat said he would contact me when he had the information, and did say he hoped to have the info today, and gave me a contact number.  Keen to find out, and hopefully get a good answer.  But understand can only get the info when the tech gets back to him.  He did warn me as there is 5 units on the block that the chances are not great because they dont like doing it over 4 units I believe.

0 Kudos