Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Blue92
New Contributor

Optus Cable for Townhouses

Hello,

I live in a street with a newly built townhouse. Optus Cable is in my street but when I speak to Optus (over an hour) between sales and activations transferring me between each other 5 times I can't get a concise answer. 

My property has cat 6 cable at the front sitting idle that run into my premise. Would Optus potentially inatall cable for my property and potentially the other 3 properties ? What do I need to do to make this happen. 

The NBN is 18 months away at best too. How does the NBN HFC network deal with these challenges ?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus Cable for Townhouses

This is one of those questions where everyone runs for cover Blue. You might want to have a read of the post below to get idea on what you are dealing with. Is wireless broadband or ADSL an option till the NBN becomes available?

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Neighbour-in-my-unit-is-able-to-get-cable-But-m...

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Have you checked your NBN technology type (FTTC?) and install date here?

As @Yeldarb says, Getting Optus to make a new cable connection can be problematic. Townhouses are an issue because Optus will normally only connect to the primary address (Unit 1) for some reason. You somehow need to get Optus to come out and do a survey to get the others agreed to.

What does Optus say when you put your addresses in here? (try both the street number only and the unit/street combo)

Also see if Telstra can connect cable to. The Optus HFC cable will be dismantled when the NBN arrives in your area. The NBN will either use Telstra cable or the existying copper if you are getting FTTC. NBNCo will charge ~$300 to connect up each house for you.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Blue92
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response !

Yes the address in both formats works for Optus Cable and I was able to process a order which was then declined with  out a substantial reason or path for remedy. 

The Address is slated for FTTC in December 2019... But I wouldn't hold my breath.  My NBN comment was more about technically it must be possible if the NBN can do it ?

Re ADSL I don't have a phone line yet (cat 6) is sitting idle at the street but I am also at the very edge of the exchange so it wouldn't be a great experience. I am currently using Vivid  Wireless but 12/1 doesn't go very far and in poor weather it barely works. 

I am happy to Pay Optus the make it worth there while I just haven't been able to speak to staff that have the information to tell if it's doable or not. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's nothing stopping Optus hooking up your property however they have a bunch of rules on what they will and won't hookup. One big rule is any overhead cable can not cross over another property. That may effect you? NBN don't have that restriction though.

The (new) connection process is bizarrely difficult to instigate (At Optus and Telstra). Generally you get told yes or no to an address and that's it. Its possible Optus are scaling back new connections as the NBN will replace it entirely. 

You could read this article on Telstra cable which might help.

Otherwise you'll need to wait until 2019 for the NBN. FWIW you shuold find the date given as reasonably reliable (after many years of silly dates given out - I don't know why NBNCo ever decided to release forecast dates as they were all definitely subject to major change.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Blue92
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. I don't believe I have the overhead issue. There is a conduit under the driveway or cable would only need to run directly to my property. 

I am guessing there is no straight forward way to request a site visit at my expense to confirm ? I would think also I wouldn't be alone and at least one other property would take up Optus services. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Maybe a mod can pop in and see if they can't look up your address and give you a better explanation of why not so far. 

But otherwise I can only suggest you phone and try get the 'right' department

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Blue92
New Contributor

Thanks Peter... I'll keep trying. 

0 Kudos