Searching...

Optus Cable dropouts

Achtung

Hi,

For the last couple of months I've been experiencing random dropouts on my cable connection.  I connected my PC directly with ethernet thinking that the wifi network might be the issue, however it has not resolved anything.

I recently used PingPlotter to monitor the connection over the last few days.  The drop outs are happening in peak and off-peak times without any regular pattern.

Looking to get some assistance with this as it is very disruptive and not the service I'm paying for.

Thanks

J

pingplotter 30.08

Re: Optus Cable dropouts

petergdownload

Optus will have a log of all dropouts too (even the ones you didn't notice). 

I'd call/livechat and ask them what they think. You could be put on a less aggressive speed profile that might solve the problem. 

It may also be the modem which they might offer to send out a replacement.

Otherwise its wait for the NBN to arrive (The Optus cable network is due to be scrapped in two years).

Peter Gillespie

CrayonPop

I think I'm experiencing the exact same issue as of a couple of months ago after Optus supposedly conducted a maintenance in my area. My cable internet will just drop out randomly for about 20-30 seconds at a time. Sometimes just data transmission stops, sometimes its a full on drop out where the lights on the modem go out.

I've been onto live chat numerous times and been given the run around "have you tried changing your wifi channel?" and even had a technician come out who just changed the isolator which didn't resolve the issue. Interestingly enough when I login to the modem stats there are a large number of transmission errors of which the majority are uncorrectables. I hope someone fixes this issue soon.

petergdownload

There was one guy here who reported disabling wifi completely did 'fix' there situation. Maybe test that.

Peter Gillespie

Achtung

Thanks for the suggestion, however I'm already running my connection via ethernet to my PC (from the router).  I spoke to LiveChat who weren't able to provide much help apart from asking me to factory reset the modem (which fixed nothing) and to try running the internet directly to PC (bypassing router, which also did nothing).

I'll follow up further with tech I guess.

CrayonPop

Keep us updated on how you go. I've had 2 technicians come out and the problem persists. The second time the technician didn't even call to arrange beforehand so I couldn't be home. My partner said they changed some box outside which I can only assume was the isolator AGAIN. Didn't fix the issue the first time around. Seems like these technicians just want to get in and out and get paid without actually trying to find the problem. My next step is a visit to the Optus store to complain in person, then it'll be onto the Ombudsman to try and cancel the contract.

petergdownload

@Achtung

You misunderstand. The report sugested the ethernet connection improved considerably when the wifi was disabled on the modem. Not a solution (or entirely logical) but perhaps something worth trying?

@CrayonPop 

There's little point in visiting a store. They are generally franchises that just sell Optus products. Anything to do with contracts etc. is with Head Office and the most they can do is call the Optus Customer Service Line for you. That said, exiting a contract for extended non performance shouldn't be too hard. Have you requested it to Optus directly?

Peter Gillespie

CrayonPop

Thanks Peter I guess I won't bother wasting my time visiting an actual store then.

To debunk the WiFi theory I've always used a Wireless router and had the Wifi on my actual modem switched off since I had the connection installed.

Is there any way to actually get in contact with someone from technical support who actually knows what they're doing? Not just some mindless live chat consultant who has been trained to follow a script.

petergdownload

Its pretty hit and miss. I've found the Optus CSRs almost universally want to be helpful but there's a wide range of abilities (plus authorised abilities). All I can suggest is call and try get through to the technical department and see if you've 'won'

Peter Gillespie

CrayonPop

So I tried once again with an Optus Live Chat technical support consultant and described my issue and what has happened so far. I specifically said that I do not want a technician to show up randomly unannounced and then fail to diagnose the issue. I was told my issue would be escalated to a "higher up" team who would be able to resolve the issue. 2 days later a technician showed up at my house unannounced again while I wasn't home. My partner was home at the time and again she was told there was "no issue" and the technician left.

I have now opened a complaint with the TIO and depending on the result of the complaint may be terminating my contract with Optus.

As is evident with these threads I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. I'm amazed Optus doesn't know what the issue is or maybe they simply don't care.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Intermittent-internet-dropout/m-p/473394#M53291...

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
86 Kudos
80 Kudos
63 Kudos
36 Kudos
35 Kudos