cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Js25
New Contributor

Optus Cable-Terrible packet loss and ping issues.

Hello guys,
I moved houses 1 month ago and got connected with Optus Cable, no speed pack in the Padstow area (Sydney). From day 1 I noticed some issues in peak times such as decreased speeds, packet loss and high ping making online gaming, for example unplayeable. Previously I was with Telsta which had its issues from time to time, but overall was a good service, so I wasn't sure if the congestion issues were just temporary and I decided to wait it out. Well here I am, 1 month later and in need of some clarity. The issues have just gotten worse, now I'm getting insane ping spikes. I did a few tests, I don't know if this is some trick to fool customers into thinking everything is okay on their end but:
Speed test to Optus Sydney Server
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4993164487.png
Max speeds and super low ping, sure upload is abit low but ok. Hmm okay now let's try a few more tests:

Speed test to Telstra Server:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4993154400.png

Speed test to Internode Server:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4993172803.png

Ping test:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/137737698.png
This was actually a "lucky" test at a time where I wasn't getting any packet loss.

These tests were all done within minutes of each other. Now I use an american based teamspeak server and you can see your ping/packetloss on there, here's a screenshot:
http://puu.sh/mu7iV/8415f5e6c3.png

note:Im on riverwood 9 node or w/e

I need some answers here, these tests were taken at around 12 AM surely people would be backing off internet usage by this time,I have not been using the internet during the day/off peak times very much recently, at the start of my contract (1 month ago) it was definetly better in the day time, can't say if that's still the case. These type of ping spikes happen MULTIPLE times per night, I've had over 1000MS ping for the last 1 hour atleast, it's just insane. Is anything being done about this? 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
New Contributor ozinut
New Contributor

Re: Optus Cable-Terrible packet loss and ping issues.

looks like the packet loss issue is back all i got from tech support was to cycle your modem nothing else

no offence what does it take to speak to somebody in australia?????????

0 Kudos
New Contributor Js25
New Contributor

Yeah, this is just appalling, during the peak times I can't even instant watch a youtube video...it buffers every 20 seconds...I  haven't had to wait for a video to load thought before watching it in 5 years, 1 month with optus and there has been so many issues.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hi Guys!

If you're still needing a hand or would like us to run some further tests please send your full name, DOB & Optus internet username to me via PM (private message). 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Js25
New Contributor

Thanks for replying Hollie, I Pm'd you my details.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Js25
New Contributor

still no reply ..........

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Sorry if you've not heard back Js25 - We've just been a bit busy. Hollie will get back to you as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Jarrens
Occasional Contributor

Leonay area here, same thing as you. Has been like this for about a month now, can't even play Overwatch because of the terrible packet loss making everyone teleport around. Still playing full price for service tho 🙂 Peak times are terrible with only one user in the house being able to stream content (Not even 1080P). Get down to about 0.8 = 1.5 Mb/s Down from like 6- 11 PM

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @Jarrens, I'm sorry to hear this. Have our Tech Support team checked this out for you yet? They're contactable on 13 13 44 24x7.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Jarrens
Occasional Contributor

Yes I had talk and had a techie out here before Christmas but all he was able to say was that, yes you are suffering packet loss but it normally goes away after 48 hour and that this one seemed to be a long one. He had said it had been in effort for about and week but should be all good now (When he was visiting) Still the same though 😞 

0 Kudos