cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor sammo
New Contributor

Optus Cable Slow

My Optus Cable Broadband has become unbearably slow.

MacBookPro on WiFi.

I expect around 30 Mbps (3.75 MB/s) downstream and around 2.0 Mbps (250 KB/s) upstream.

Downloading from GitHub (hosted by amazonaws.com) fluctuates between 200 KB/s down to 1 KB/s and usually fails after a few MB.

Uploading to DropBox fluctuates between 10 KB/s down to 1 KB/s and also fails after a few MB.

Strangely, Speedtest by Ookla shows 20 Mbps download and 1.2 Mbps upload, which is quite reasonable.

When I switch this MacBook Pro to a WiFi hotspot hosted by my phone's Vodafone connection, I immediately get reasonable speeds.

Rebooting the Netgear Cable Modem (CG3000v2) doesn't make anything better.

Seems to be a problem on the Optus side of things. Perhaps QoS is throttling everything except Ookla Speedtest. Possiby due to recent changes due to other people's problems streaming World Cup video?

Anyways let it be known that Optus Cable has been extremely flaky and I am very disappointed with the service.

Competent help will be appreciated but please don't ask me to reboot the Netgear Cable Modem again as basic troubleshooting has already been done.

4 Replies
Moderator Tris

Re: Optus Cable Slow

Thanks for going through the normal troubleshooting @sammo. Just to assist in isolating the issue, do you have any devices you can connect via Ethernet? I can help confirm or rule out WiFi interference between the modem and your MacBook, in which case changing the WiFi channel could help. If still no luck, please chat with Tech Support so a fault can be raised and investigated 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor sammo
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply @Tris. Yep, I also tried isolating the issue, spending quite some time over the last week:

1. Disabled WiFi at the router and made sure only one Ethernet device (PC) was connected. Still unacceptably slow.

2. Disconnected Ethernet and re-enabled WiFi. Scanned WiFi channels in my area and confirmed there are no overlaps - nevertheless still tried other channels. Still unacceptably slow.

3. Changed WiFi SSID and PSK to make sure only the MacBook can connect. Still unacceptably slow.

4. Also tried WiFi with iPhone and Android phones, one at a time. Still unacceptably slow.

5. When I switch to a WiFi hotspot hosted by my phone's Vodafone connection, I immediately get reasonable speeds.

Anyways, I did an upload test during this morning and was able to upload to YouTube at around 100 KB/s without dropping out for a couple of minutes, which is not great for an expected 2 Mbps upstream, but better than night time where it would just drop out.

It's probably "just congestion during peak time", rather than a fault - but that is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Thanks for being so thorough @sammo. I agree this doesn't sound like a problem on your end. Could you please send me a PM including the below details?

Are you the primary account holder: 

Your full name: 

DOB: 

Account number:

I can check a few things on my end. Depending on my findings, I may need to refer you to the Tech Support team

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor sammo
New Contributor

Thank you for offering a discount in order to compensate for unacceptably slow Internet speeds.

I have now connected to Telstra Cable, and have some results to report:

At 8:45pm, on Optus Cable (base speed 30 Mb/s down, 2 Mb/s up), a download of a large file from a reputable Microsoft address had a maximum speed of around 250 KB/s, constantly dropping below 200 KB/s. It would fail after a minute or so. Tried several times with the same result. Expected download speed is at least 3 MB/s.

On Telstra Cable (base speed 50 Mb/s down, 5 Mb/s up), the same download from the same reputable Microsoft address had a maximum speed of around 5 MB/s, sustaining around at least 3 MB/s. Expected download speed is at least 5 MB/s.

Sorry, but the small discount is not enough to compensate for months and months of below par performance.

0 Kudos