Searching...

Re: Optus Cable Internet keeps dropping out

Lakotaoz
TECS COME TO YOU ??? HOW DO YA GET THAT ? OPTUS HAVE CANCELLED OUR BOOKINGS 4 TIMES ALREADY WITHOUT TELLING US , YA STAY HOME FROM WORK ESP FOR THE APPOINTMENT AND NO-ONE SHOWS UP. NOT TO MENTION YA WAIT ON HOLD TO SPEAK TO THEM , THEN GET TRANSFERRED TO 3 DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS AND FINALLY YA GET THE SECTION YA WANT AND THE OPERATOR CAN HARDLY UNDERSTAND OR SPEAK ENGLISH. BUT .......... YA FINALLY BREAK THROUGH THE LANGUAGE BARRIER AND HE HAS TO RING YA BACK WITHING THE HOUR BECAUSE HE HAS TO READ UP ON HOW TO REPAIR THE ISSUE. AND HE NEVER CALLS BACK !! HEY OPTUS BRING IT BACK TO AUSTRALIA INSTEAD OF SENDING THE WORK OFFSHORE TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. IF YOU AGREE PLEASE SAY YES ...... EMPLOY AUSTRALIAN WORKERS WHO UNDERSTAND AUSTRALIANS !

Colonel

I have been with Optus for about 15 years for broadband and home phone. I can remember when Optus had the slogan "Yes." They worked hard to keep their customers happy and did well, because they consistently provided a better service than Telstra. Not any more. Two days ago around 11am, I started experiencing outages; next day these became more frequent. So far only one outage this morning. Resetting the modem doesn't solve the problem. Compter and modem working OK - the problem is either in the overhead cable in the street or further away. Optus outage website only shows problems with mobile phone towers, nothing about ADSL.

Highlighted

NotMx

I have an Optus broadband subscription with a CG3000v2 modem, which apparently isn't the best but I've never known any router to be perfect.

Anyway the router reboots and internet dropouts was getting to be a large issue, so I've been trying different combinations to get the most reliable service. 

In the end I have the CG3000v2 with wifi turned off but DHCP turned on, connected to a $26 D-Link 5-port gigabit switch, and from there connected to ubiquiti access point. With this setup the CG3000v2 hasn't ever rebooted itself, and even if I had to restart it myself, the other devices on the network (wired or wireless) won't lose their network in the meantime, so things come back as quick as they can (wireless devices don't look around for another wifi signal to connect to).

However I still get internet outages and packet drops; the occasional packet drop could almost be understandable but the internet dropoffs just kills me; my work's remote access needs to be completely restarted whenever the internet dies (which can be as small as 60 seconds but can be as often as once or twice an hour), and this interrupts the FetchTV recordings.

I've not had luck getting optus technical support on the phone, whenever I manage to phone the number, I get an estimate of 90 minutes before someone can take my call; I tried to use their callback feature that that doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to test the cable signals without someone from the optus helpdesk? From what I've read so far, without a reliable line there's no point getting another modem, especially since the modem hasn't crashed since I turned off the wifi and rebooting it doesn't seem to reduce the internet dropouts.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
53 Kudos
38 Kudos
25 Kudos