Searching...
Highlighted

Optus Cable Internet keeps dropping out

Yos1

I have been with Optus for over 10 years with a unlimited Cable connection and Fetch TV including using the powerline, during that time any issue has been promptly resolved. But in the last 3 months I have had nothing but problems with the new CM500, I had a second modem/router sent out which is currently in the drawer. The Internet has been dropping out, sometimes 5 times during a single movie usually during the best part of the movie too. Sometimes I cannot even browse open internet pages including google and facebook but the speed tests and ping are fine. I often switch to my mobile phone plan on 4G whist at home cause the WIFI is so terrible.  

I have made at least 10 calls to Optus so called Tecnical Support Experts who mainly advise to reboot and change channels on the WIFI (good channels 5,7,9,11) and then call them back just to get me off the phone. Sure a reboot SOMETIMES fixes the problem and sometimes only for few minutes and sometimes not at all. The last time I called almost 2 weeks ago I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was told a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours and when i called because I didn't get a call back I was told it's 48 hours before I get a call back from a supoervisor and that was 2 weeks ago and i'm still waiting

I have managed to have 3 technican visit my home and they have replaced the isolator and I wont go into details of the other 2 visits, but not much was done to fix the problem other than the reboot and ping and then i'm told that it's working fine, one Technician taking photos of the speed test as proof ...... LOL

On the 5 January 2018 I went through the painful complaints process,  typed a letter of complaint then went to the post office brought a envolope and stamp and posted it to Optus in South Australia  ... patiently waiting :-((

Re: Optus Cable Internet keeps dropping out

10000000000GB

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Netgear-CM500V-Optus-Modem-Router/112716122992?hash=item1a3e678b70:g:vLI...

I use 4G, so am used to paying for all my equipment and experimenting

Yos1

So you have a 4G Dongle and use the WIFI on all devices or you have seperate accounts for each device ? I have a few devices ? 

10000000000GB

WiFi modems usually get the signal 5-6m without too much speed loss, but WiFi seems to make the connection lower bandwidth. You will do better on ethernet.

Yos1

I understand ethernet would be lots better and agree but it is not feasable to have ethernet connections to Ipads and Mobile Phones. 3-4 months ago it was working without issue .... now it's difficult and frustrating to even browse facebook ... I dont need super fast connections just a stable connection that does not drop out several times a day.

10000000000GB

For $50 you can find out whether that CM500 on ebay has working Wifi.

Have you tested it on ethernet?

Yos1

Optus have been kind enough to send a secong brand new CM500 so its been tested ... I have tried ethernet but not on a regular basis as I never had before.  

10000000000GB

What if there is wifi interference around your block of units, or something.

Unfortunately wifi is a public band that is used by microwave ovens.

You need to test by ethernet to see if the wifi is the main problem.

Yos1

What Block of Units ? Stand alone house with one neighbour on one side .... 

10000000000GB

That 2.4Ghz band is used by headphones, cordless telephones.

You have to know whether it's the Optus cable or the wifi. If you run TV by ethernet and it drops out, you know it's the cable.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos