Searching...
Highlighted

Optus Cable Internet Speed

ADDICT4CABLE

I have recently had Optus Cable Internet Installed with the Premium Speed Pack.

The speeds that I am experiencing are extremely poor / unacceptable. Browsing websites is slower than the ADSL2+ service I have forgone in the hope of geting a faster internet connection, and with YouTube I basically need to get every video clip to completely buffer before I view it.

I have a high performance new laptop and connection via Ethernet directly to the modem.

When I called technical support, they tested the connection and got me to do an internet speed test and this all proved fine in their opinion. However, when I played multiple YouTube 720p clips to them and they heard the amount of pauses and buffering, to example my speed issue, they put me on hold and did some investigation.

They came back to say that there were some issues that they have been having with this Netgear modem model (which is the only one used for Premium Speed Pack customers) and the 'Netgear Servers' which is resulting in the slow speeds.

They were unable to give me an estimated resolution time, refused to give me a substitute modem (to see if this would resolve the issue), and held the response that I just needed to wait until Optus sorted this out.

I told the person that I did not understand how Optus could have sold me this service and product when they knew it was having significant performance issues, which is actually a breach by Optus of their contract (as they are materially breaching their contract in not providing a 'cable' internet service speed). I went on to ask to speak to their customer service/complaints department and was told that the Internet department had been consolidated and that he was to handle all such matters. I proceeded to ask to talk to his supervisor/manager, and was told he was on another call, to which I requested that I would be called back, and not suprisingly was never.

Before I call to cancel this service (and will obviously be not paying any sort of cancellation fees), is there anyone else that is experiencing similar issues or anyone that can help?

To anyone thinking about signing up for Optus Cable, I would think twice...

Re: Optus Cable Internet Speed

Ian

Once an issue has been picked up it needs a full investigation for us to determine exactly what's causing the problem and then have the right people put a plan in to place to fix it up. Before we can work on fixing it, we need to be able to replicate the fault first otherwise we don't know what we're working with, so unfortunately it can sometimes be a time consuming process.

When customer's call to report the fault we use their details and service info to look into the issue and attempt to replicate what they see. Were you provided with a fault report # at all so I can check what's happening with it at the moment?

ADDICT4CABLE

Thankyou for your reponse.

I was not provided with a Fault Report Number.

Ian

Could you please send your info via this page and I'll check it out next week for you. Thanks.

ADDICT4CABLE
Done, and thankyou in advance.

Ian

@ADDICT4CABLE wrote:
Done, and thankyou in advance.

I've actually sent 2 PMs through to you since you sent your info through our form Smiley Wink You can check them on the main page.

jarrodb291

I'm having the EXACT same problem.

I switch from Telstra Bigpond Cable to Optus just a month or so ago and the expierince so far has been terrible. I oo have the premium speed pack (up to 100MBps) and even though the optus speed test website ( ) initially showed very speed test results, I could not even watch a SD YouTube video without it stopping every 10 seconds. I called Optus tech support and the tech told me a similar story about faulty Netgear modems and a recent software update. He asked to power cycle my modem and he did some sort of reset at their end and after that the performance was great.

That was about 3 weeks ago, now the speed is wrose than ever. My speed test results today are now as low as 2 MBps. I called tech support again and was told their was some sort of International traffic issue (however this should not affect a local speed test result) and that there was some over subscribing of local nodes. The tech could not give me a time line as to when the 'over subscription' would be sorted out. Meanwhile I'm paying $109 per month for rubbish quality 2MBps. The worst thing is that I now have the same traffic flow issues (poor YouTube for example) but with a max speed of 2MBps.

My fault number was 10570964 in case anyone is interested!

This is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. If Optus has oversold it's services then it better sort it out quick or I'll be cancelling this service and going straight back to Telstra. I will not be paying a cent in cancellation fees.

[ Edited ]
Ian

Could you please send some speed tests through via PM (click my name) so I can check it out further for you? Please use http://speedtest.optusnet.com.au and ensure using  direct ethernet connection.

We can definitely look into why you're seeing slower than expected speeds via our speed test. Unfortunately there's so many different factors that can affect YouTube speeds though; we can investigate and either confirm it's something to do with our network (then put a plan in place to fix) or rule out our network but if it's something external it wouldn't be something we can resolve Smiley Sad

Cheers.

ADDICT4CABLE

Horray, someone that understands my pain!!!

steve223

Same here not to mentions that Optus now for the second time disconnect my Internet and telephone and know one knows why or will give an explanation. Needed to spent 3 hours on the phone to get re-connected.

Today again my home phone does not work and internet speed is slow as hell with docs3, no way to watch a youtube video without buffering with a supposed 1oombps connection

I'm going to telstra............

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
80 Kudos
68 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos