cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Radgie
New Contributor

Optus Cable: IMAP email accounts where unable to login with authentication failures

From about mid yesterday afternoon my family have been unable to login to any third party email accounts when going through Optus Cable. All works fine when using VPN or going direct via cellular hotspot. When logging into IMAP Account through Optus Modem it fails with the error message “Verify that the username and password are correct”. These has happended across multiple accounts across multiple devices, Macs and iPhones, we get the same consistent message.

Can’t connect to the account “joxxxxxhn”
Enter the password for user “joxxxxhn.com”.
Password: [xxxx]
Unable to verify Account or Password

Have reset the Optus modem.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Optus Cable: IMAP email accounts where unable to login with authentication failures

Which port are you using for your outgoing mail server? At a stab in the dark, Optus Cable is blocking whatever port you're currently using.

Guessing you're using port 25, try using port 465, 587, 2526 if you're using SSL.

-------------------

Loyal Optus customer. My opinions are my own.
New Contributor Radgie
New Contributor

Re: Optus Cable: IMAP email accounts where unable to login with authentication failures

Thanks Glenn for the reply.

On all accounts they are all setup SSL with the outgoing as port 463. The issue is not just outgoing. It is also incoming. For intance if I disconnect from the VPN then over the space of a few seconds all my mail accounts have a little triangle with a ~ in them and if I attempt to use anyone then password is requested. When I switch back on VPN over a few seconds all returns to normal.

Both incoming and outgoing are authenticated.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @Radgie, I'm pretty sure I've seen this issue on the forum before. We can raise an IT case to have someone look into your issue. Shoot me a private message with your account number, full name and DOB to have that organised.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Radgie
New Contributor

Hi Toomey.

Strangely the problem has resolved itself overnight. I've changed nothing on my side.

Not an issue anymore going through Optus cable to 3rd party IMAP accounts so case closed for me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Ah good news, sounds very strange though. Do let us know if it happens again and we'll get IT to take a look. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor SteveR
New Contributor

I have had this for a couple of weeks now with the same issue as described. 

I am using port 993 for incoming and 465 for SMTP.

I have had 2 chats with support and end of conversation not our issue as it is 3rd party imap. Not good support!!

The odd thing is that this appears to be an intermittent issue.

I had an issue with the internet connection and the email issues appeared at the same time. Internet now is good but the email issue remains.

Imap settings are not an issue, as the settings work across other networks and 4G on all of my devices, the only issue seems to be on my home connection.

0 Kudos