Searching...

Optus Cable Heavy Congestion

kiwler

Hi, i am currently on the $90 Unlimited bundle which includes the premium speed pack, but for the past year, what i have noticed was from 3pm till midnight my speed would severely degrade. After 6pm, the internet slows so much where it is unusable, hence having to switch to my mobile 4G. I have ran a few speed tests during this time, and get below 10Mbps which is rubbish. I have done the usual troubleshooting such as restarting the modem, use the ethernet cable, factory reset the modem etc. The area i am is Thomastown, Victoria 3074, and i do believe there is some sought of really bad congestion. 

Highlighted

Re: Optus Cable Heavy Congestion

beetroot

Hi kiwler,

The congestion is caused by Optus' lack of bandwidth to service their growing customer base.They continue to sign up new customers on a choked up network. One thing I have noticed is that it appears that they are slicing up peoples bandwidth in these heavily congested areas during peak times and it is clear that they have implemented some kind of QOS prioritisation to Netflix, Stan and Fetch TV. I have recently signed up to a two week trial of Foxtel Go and it buffers every 10 seconds during peak times, yet when I switch to Netflix or FetchTV it magically streams without issues. It's like a transit lane on a clogged up road, only certain vehicles can travel un-impeded.

My advice, complain! because the more they get, the better. If it's not going to change anything then it will at least give them a taste of what it's like to deal with a backlog (sorry "congestion").

I have written an open letter of complaint and posted it in this forum which can be found here: Other Thread Search for "beetroot" and you'll find the details.

Good luck!

Beetroot

[ Edited ]
kiwler

Its a bit of a f*cken  joke that I can barely use the internet and can't even game online due to the super latency, hence forcing me to use my Telstra 4G mobile broadband since the optus mobile reception is sooooooo poor inside that I can barely get 3Mbps. I called their tech support, and the only they did was take my mobile number and pass it onto the optus network team lol, what a joke. Like this is some serious sub par service im paying for due to this major congestion  to the node. Worst case I'll I have to contact the Telecom ombudsman and see what they can do for me since im contracted till January 7 2017.

I have to agree with you on the QoS prioritisation on Netflix as my Foxtel Go is dog slow during 6pm till midnight where I usually start streaming my shows. 

beetroot

I feel your pain. But I don't think you'll get far with the TIO Ombudsman. There are only two cable providers in this country and they are both half as bad as each other. In otherwords they have us by the hypotheticals.

I think this issue needs to go further and that the ACCC needs to get involed. How can a company say "If you're running multiple devices, part of a big family or streaming on-demand video, then Home Broadband is just the ticket for your entertainment needs!" (this is a quote from: The Optus Broadband Home page). In my experience that claim is untrue!

This one I like the most: "Strong and reliable network" Found here

When is "Fast" not fast?

When is "Strong and Reliable" not strong or reliable?

In one of my posts on this forum a moderator told me that I should be getting "decent" speeds. I didn't sign up for "decent" speeds I signed up for fast broadband on a strong and reliable network.

Beetroot

kiwler

I was on Telstra cable, and it was much quicker overall and during peak periods the network barely flexes. Just getting so frustrated with this and the more I try to work out on tackling this issue, it makes me fume even more. 

[ Edited ]
rtul

I am also suffering from similar issues, and not far from the Thomastown exchange. It is pretty rediculous that I am paying for the premium speed pack but can't expect to actually achieve 80Mbps+ unless I am using my Cable broadband outside peak times. Right now it's 10am, speed tests are revealing 88Mbps (similar speed at just this midnight). However, come round to peak hour I can get anywhere between 5Mbps-20Mbps which is pretty rediculous.

I think in the Thomastown area, this congestion is so blatantly obvious and prevelant. I know 4 other relatives who live in the area suffering from similar issues, some of which are much worse than mine. If you guys didn't know, Thomastown was listed in one of the leaked NBN documents where they proposed they extend the Telstra HFC to compensate for the abysmal state in which the Optus HFC network is at.

https://11217-presscdn-0-50-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Optus-HFC.pdf

While I am fortunate to have Telstra HFC available at my address (not everyone in the area does), Optus is so much affordable (nor is my contract over) so switching over isn't exactly an option at the moment. I called their tech support and all they did was take down my mobile number for any future developments or updates on the issue. When I pressed them for any possible timeframes or ETAs they admitted that they honestly did not know. Smiley Mad

Get your game together Optus!

beetroot

Interesting to know about Telstra, I'll keep that in mind pending Optus' response to my complaint. With regards to getting frustrated. My advice is put pen to paper or type up a letter and send it to their customer relations group and just spread the word.

Beetroot

kiwler

@rtul I also have 4 relatives who connects to the same Thomastown node and has appalling speed despite having the premium speed pack. I will literally keep calling their support line and run speed tests on a daily basis so they can see from their end that the speeds are sub par and unacceptable. Why the hell am I paying for a service that does not deliver its promise and has not been transparent in attempting to rectify this issue, like f*ck me this just gets me angrier. 

beetroot

Many here share your sentiments kiwler.

Seriously if Optus were proactive and did the following I wouldn't have a gripe:

1. Be transparent and and honest and explain to their customers in affected nodes that they are aware of bandwidth issues in a proactive manner (send out sms, call them etc).

2. Offer those customers a discount while they address their bandwidth issues.

3. Provided those customers with reasonable timeline or timeframe on how long it would take to fix the issues.

4. Essentially allow the customer to make an educated decision on either remaining loyal to Optus or taking their business elsewhere and we wouldn't be in the dark as we are now!

Instead Optus have chosen to:

1. Keep quite and wait for customers affected by their bandwidth limitations to complain about it

2. Do nothing about it on the first (and in my case second and third) instance of complaint to the tech support number

3. Wait until the customer becomes excessively aggitated with the scenario before they attempt to address it.

4. I don't know as I haven't reached this stage yet as my saga continues...

Optus we want you to be: TRANSPARENT, PROACTIVE, REASONABLE and HONEST!

Beetroot

brokenxoom

While I can feel for you guys I would kill to be getting around 10mb/s on Optus cable, during peak times here in Laverton I am lucky if I get 2mb/s.

And yes I have been through the Tech support circus where they ask you to reboot router, then "Oh it is Congestion and there is nothing they can do for it".

Yesterday put in complaint to Telecommunications Ombudsman about the lack of response and support from Optus, now to wait and see.

I have even asked for a discount from Optus as their service is not "fit for purpose" but no response.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
31 Kudos