Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Rusty40
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Cable Broadband vs NBN

Why should I have to pay $20 to $30 a month more than what I pay now for cable broadband to get NBN broadband speeds half the speed I have now.

8 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Cable Broadband vs NBN

To answer your question.

Cable users have had access to 100Mbps for over a decade now. They have had it very good. The NBN has a couple of main goals, one of the primary ones is to spread access to high speed internet to all households around the country and not just the lucky 20% (including me). 

Initially the NBN is not a great deal for cable households. There's no speed gain and prices rise to pay off the roll out. Its not all bad news though. For one thing, instead of two companies controlling all access to high speed cable broadband, now every ISP can sell it. You are now free to choose any provider (and some of them offer pretty good alternatives)

Also the Optus cable is due to be scrapped shortly. Undermaintained, old and obsolete the cheap ride was about to end either way as Optus would have had to replace their network (and jack up prices) anyway. Instead the NBN bought it and junked it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
ausben
New Contributor
New Contributor

As loyal decade long customers we will just have to suck it up, or move on while whining and reminiscing in whirlpool forums about the good old days when we had it too good for too long.  Thank you Peter for explaining the drivers here.  Yes!

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@ausben 

There are a lot of us Optus Cable Decaders out there Smiley Happy It has been a good ride and Optus has been an excellent experience. Unfortunately Optus management (IMO) have been canabalising their systems for several years now. Coupled with this is a general disregard for looking out for their customer, instead they're more seen as a point of revenue. I don't see this as sustainable (and the enforced scrapping of the (old) Optus jewel that was their cable network emphasises this)

IMO there needs to be a top level corporate culture change because at the moment they seem to be acting like the banks have been. Perhaps surprisingly Telstra seems to be making this transition surprisingly willingly and well. One of the major benefits of the NBN is that now everybody has choice. Optus don't seem to realise this, and while they still maintain a great price point the rest of their service is seeing more and more customers leave or never join. Telstra on the other hand have made may customer friendly changes. For example

a) Month to Month contracts only (no locking you in)

b) Free 1Mbps to 5Mbps upload speed boost to all cable customers

c) No excess fees on mobile plans (just speed limiting)

d) Implimenting a rewards system for loyal customers

e) Competetive pricing on the NBN ($80 for the most standard 50Mbps) plan.

f) Reducing plan offerings from 2000 to 20 (just 2 internet plans).

All this is not to say go get Telstra (its yet to be seen how many of these stick or work as hoped) but just that culturally Telstra appears to be taking the view that the customer is special and needs to be cultivated and looked after. Not just given lip service and then taken for a ride where possible. They get that whilst they can cage and fleece a customer for a brief period they will lose that customer forever shortly there after.

I'm very optimistic about where the NBN has to go. Its already doing great things and its not even finished. When service providers (websites) can start assuming  everyone has access to a minimum 25Mbps and almost all much more than that we will see some great developments (not just lowest common denominator (2Mbps) products). When people start noticing what high upload speeds can do (something that should revolutionise the internet again).

It should be good, I hope Optus choose to come along for the ride.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
ausben
New Contributor
New Contributor

Where and when will you go to the NBN Peter? I'm thinking just before disconnection might be a good time... 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

On Optus cable there's little point in waiting IMO. You'll only have three months anyway after the NBN arrives. You might as well decide a provider (Optus or Other) and get the ball rolling. IMO other has the advantage of being able to leave the Optus connection in place while the NBN sets up your new connection. Cancel the Optus service at your leisure.

Just make sure its a provider with true month two month plans and you can swing back to Optus NBN (or not) after you've confirmed all is working well. Although at this stage in the rollout its more likely you will be going FTTC.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Rusty40
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter;

IMO is an anagram of what?? please.

I have a new pit box in my nature strip (PMG asbestos cement one removed) now only 7 months after they said the NBN would arrive.

What plans do Optus have to replace Foxtel on OPtus when the cable is turned off?

Especially Discovery channel and Nat Geo and Fox classics.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Rusty40 

Only My Imagination? Smiley Happy

I think you mean acronym. It's In My Opinion (which is probably self evident most of the time but I find it a little politer/clearer to use it more often when typing than you would in a conversation. I also like IME (In My Experience)

Yes the NBN has had some setbacks, some of its own makings but IMO most of them due to government directives and interference in the rollout process. Regardless, rewiring the nation is no doubt going to suffer some setbacks. Glad to hear its finally turning up. Smiley Happy

To your question though, there shouldn't be any issues grabbing Foxtel over NBN Optus. Read this article

The three channels you mention are all in the basic $25 package. Add another $10 you get them in HD. So you might get the $70 NBN Deal (+$20 if you want a Fetch Box) and then add in the HD Basic Foxtel Package for another $35 a month.

NB You might like to investigate an Optus mobile plan as they include an Nat Geo app at no extra cost

NBB Note that changing to Optus NBN from Optus Cable essentially involves ending your contract and starting a new one (so no penalties if you leave). You're free to do this with Optus but you might also find another deal that suits as now all ISPs can provide high speed broadband to your home, not just Optus or Telstra over cable.

Peter Gillespie

Rusty40
New Contributor
New Contributor

OK thanks Peter,

yes acronym.:) .

It seems that if I'm after a one year contract or monthly NBN with Foxtel it will cost quite a bit if available by any provider.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors