Searching...
Accepted Solution

Optus Cable Broadband - 25% Speed since 1st October

Alopex

Hi all,

I've noticed a significant reduction in the speed of my Optus cable service since the 1st of October, down to approx. 23mbps downstream, from the usual 100mbps. There had been a significant service outage on the 1st of October, during which time the service was completely unavailable for many users, from what I've gathered, after which time service was restored at the aforementioned speed (23mbps downstream) and has not improved since.

Is anyone else privy to what has happened to the quality of the Optus cable service since that date? I would like to see it restored to it's former speed as I operate my business from this connection and line speed matters very much to me.

Thanks & looking forward to your feedback.

Solution

Re: Optus Cable Broadband - 25% Speed since 1st October

Alopex

Remarkably, not even two hours since I posted the thread, my connection speed has suddenly improved, now restored back to 100mbps. Perhaps someone at Optus saw the original post and took action? Whatever the case may be, thanks! The improvement is fantastic. Cat Happy

cdrougas86

Hi, I've been having the same issue!

Ever since around October 1st, the speed has gone WAAAAAY down. I used to get around consistently 70mbps in Ferntree Gully, Melbourne at the start of this year, all of a sudden my speeds are down to anywhere between 7-20mbps

WHAT IS HAPPENING OPTUS!

martymactech

Its now 14 October 2015 and I cannon even download the Fitbit app on
my partners iPhone, is has been downloading for over an hour now Smiley Sad

Optus Techs told me they have equipment they are waiting for and have my number,
funny I found the same answer from another Optus customer posted in August.

Also why does Bigpond and also iiNet also have traffic congestion issues?

I just got back from Europe and for the population their Internet is faster than the ADSL
we get here and a dame sight cheaper.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Downloading from the iTunes store may have been related to the submarine cable connection to the Apple update servers as reported by many users on every internet service provider. As far as I am aware this problem has been fixed by routing the connections to different servers.

From what I understand iiNet suffered all the same congestion issues that Optus did and the blame has been pointed at Netflix. I am not aware of Telstra having any issues.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2455176

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/the-real-reason-iinet-customers-are-facing-inte...

Tannouga

I am signed up with OPTUS Broadband Superfast Speed(100MB) for the past 5 years!

After Netflix was introduced and in the last 5 months or so, i started experiencing speed issues with browsing the net.

(My speed dropped from 100Mbps to 12Mbps!)

After calling Optus technical support, they acknowleged that the speed was affected in my area but they were neither able to confirm what was causing it nor they could tell me when it will be fixed!

I am fed up with calling technical difficulties every moth for the past 4 to 5 months and not being able to get this resolved! 

Is someone able to tell me when all these latency issues are going to get resolved and if OPTUS is planning to upgrade the bandwidth in my Area ?

Jax_K

@Tannouga, happy to look into it for you. Please drop me a PM with your Optusnet email address and I'll check for updates. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Optus Cable Broadband - Collapsed in a heap

glencooney

Ive been a Optus high speed cable broadband customer for over 14 years at the same address.  Never had a issue. Speeds of 50 MBs plus in the evening.

Just recently, and it co-incides with unlimitd internet for all, my cable speeds have collapsed. For three months now I get high speed in the mornings up to 100MBs and then maybe 0.5 to 2 MBs in the evening. It even drops out all together. My land line then fails to work as its connected to the router. I can't download a movie. I can't assess an interent page.!!!

Ive had the Optus technician out and he said it was congestion.  Damn you Optus for your decision to stuff up the local network.     It won't be long now until I switch retailers . I'm very dissapointed. No amount of phone calls to Optus will fix this problem. Just what it is.

Cheers

Glen

Hawthorne 4171 Qld

Re: Optus Cable Broadband - Collapsed in a heap

Jax_K

@glencooney, sorry to hear of your service difficulties Smiley Sad Can confirm that the impact to traffic you're currently experiencing on your internet service wouldn't impact telephony services as the phone line uses a very small amount of data, often less than 150Kbps. I'd recommend chatting with our techs on 131344 to see if there is anything else that may be affecting your phone line. In regards to the peak time slows I've had a look into this and can see our techs are currently doing upgrades to your exchange however no ETA at this stage sorry. Jax

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: Optus Cable Broadband - Collapsed in a heap

glencooney

Thanks for the reply jax

Hope you can help me.

re the phone line. If I'm getting say no service then 150 Kbps is a lot. Or if I'm getting. 500 kbps divided by multiple devices sucking bandwidth then again 150 Kbps is a lot. 

Im very frustrated. I can only hope you are upgrading my local network. If not I'm stuffed. Cheers

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
86 Kudos
80 Kudos
63 Kudos
36 Kudos
35 Kudos