Searching...

Re: Opening ports on my optus broadband router

Marie

Completely get that it's frustrating Dale,

Have you contacted the alarm company to see if they can change the port you need to contact it to as your unable to access it?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Most equipment uses a higher port number, often two. Check there isn't another put needed. You can't just swap the numbers on your modem (i.e. 82)

It also seems possible your modem has some built in firewall or security option enabled?

Suggest removing the bridge as adding more equipment just complicates the setup. The alarm connection still had to get through your modem anyway.

You can post a shot of your port forwarding settings here if you wanted. 

What model is the alarm?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DGodfrey

Thanks. I have tried changing the port number to 82 on the alarm and on port forwarding on the modem, but that won't open either. I was also wondering if there is some firewall applied that is stopping any port from opening, but I cant find any evidence of this. 

Here is a shot of my forward settings (showing my most recent attempts to open both port 80 and port 82). Also, my WAN set up page settings.. I also tried to open NAT filtering but no difference again.

Regards
Dale

DGodfrey

Sorry - I forgot to add that the Alarm model is a Paradox. It has a hardwired modem connection called an IP150 that allows me to access it remotely via my iphone. I can access it when I am at home on the network, but not when I am outside of the network. I can also change the IP address, and selected ports, on the IP150 unit, but port 80 and 10000 are the ones recommended in the instructions. 

DGodfrey

Further to my last message, I just unbridged my optus modem and went back to using it as the router. It does have a page of security settings and I am not sure if any of these are responsible for blocking the ports. Here is a screenshot of them: I tried to turn off the firewall option but it made no difference.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Can you send those pics again as they didn't come through? What model modem do you have?

Ports 80 and 10000 BOTH need to be open and forwarded to your IP50 IP address. Are you doing this?

Are you running the IP150 on DHCP? Or fixed IP? What is the internal IP address of your modem? 192.168.0.1?

Is your System info screen showing a PCS module?

Have you successfully registered at paradoxmyhome website?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PS Going out for a while. Will check back in later

DGodfrey

Yes, I have set both ports 80 and 10000 to be forwarded. The IP150 is set at 192.168.0.207. The IP150 seems to be running within the DHCP range (which is 10 to 209). I fixed it before on the bridged router but it is not fixed on the original modem router. Should I try that? Yes, the IP address is 192.168.0.1. I am not sure where to find out if I have a PCS module. 

Photos attached again.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.25.16 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 10.02.17 am.png

DGodfrey

Sorry - forgot to add that my modem/router is a netgear CG3000v2

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

You should be able to login into the IP150 to set it up? 192.168.0.207 - type that into your browser (password is paradox)

NOt sure about howthe IP can be fixed in one modem but not another? That's why I try keep it simple to start with - only get fancy after it is first working.

Read that there are two 4 pin ports in the IP150 (or alarm) - make sure the right one is connected up (I think its labelled SERIAL)

Also you've set port forwarding over TCP only. Probably correct but you could also set it to TCP/UDP.

You could try un checking FIREWALL FEATURES on your modem under ADVANCED

But it sounds like you have yet to log into the IP150 let me know if you do.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DGodfrey

I have logged in to the IP150. I cant do it via a browser - it just doesnt get me anywhere, but there is dedicated software (Paradox IP exploring tools) which I used to access it. Doing that, I can confirm that the IP address is 192.168.0.207 and that the ports are 80 (web) and 10000. I have not registered it with ParadoxMyHome - the installer didnt mention that - he said it should work as soon as I get port 80 open. I am certainly able to access the IP150 when I am on my home network, via my iphone app and I can arm or disarm the alarm using this app. It is only when I am outside of my home network that it fails. I will change TCP to TCP. I think this indicates that it is configured correctly at the IP150 unit?

I have now changed to TCP/UDP for all port forwarding settings.

I havent yet set up a static IP address outside of the DHCP server range (the installer guy didnt do this, but perhaps I need to?).

Thanks for your assistance with this by the way - much appreciated! This is a steep learning curve for me...

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
66 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
30 Kudos
18 Kudos