cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor DGodfrey
Occasional Contributor

Opening ports on my optus broadband router

Hi - I need to open ports on my optus broadband router (a Netgear CG3000) to run an alarm system and I am unable to do this in the router control page. Is this something that Optus have to do and if so, can someone please assist with how to get this done?

Thanks

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opening ports on my optus broadband router

Its under the ADVANCED tab under PORT FORWARDING (although might be called something slightly different)

See this guide however the GUI has changed a bit. You should be able to find your way to it now that you know its there.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much. I am nearly there, but in the section asking for Server IP address, I am struggling to work out what that is. If I look at the network map (on Netgear Genie) and click on the Netgear router, I get the 'router IP address' - is that the one I need? I also find different IP addresses when I look at the Gateway status under Advanced. Here, I have a different IP address for 'cable information' and 3 DNS IP addresses under 'Internet Port'. I am not sure which IP address I should use here - any help appreciated. 

Thanks again

Dale

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Your router has an internal and external IP address. Internal is somewhere in the range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255 probably? All your equipment will have an IP address on your local network 192.168.0.xxx.

Your router also is uniquie in that it has an external IP address that points to your ISP modems (they in turn have gateways to other machines, which is basically how the internet sends data back and forth)

That said, where does it say "server IP address"? 

As a guess you have a port number that you need opened. You have an alarm that has a set IP address. Those should be the only two numbers you realy need. On the modem create a port forwarding rule that open the port number and the external address range is "ANY" and the internal address range is the IP address of your alarm.

That way data coming from (or to) any external equipment with the correct port number will be sent straight to your alarm.

Hope that makes sense

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again Peter. So it turns out that I did have the router configured correctly for opening the required ports, but the problem is that Optus does not allow those ports to be opened by the user. I had to call optus and they put me through to the Netgear people at Optus and they said they can open them. I have to get home to give them the serial number before they can do that however, but hopefully this will solve the problem. 

Regards

Dale

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Didn't know that.

Good luck.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

After alot more wasted time on the phone with Optus and Netgear. I have been told the following. 1. Optus does not block any ports  - it is a netgear problem. 2. I was forwarded to Netgear. They said the ports are not blocked - they can open them for me for $89 (but basically they were just going to tell me how to do what you and others have already assisted me with). The router software says that port 80 is open, but it is not open. I told Netgear this and they said the modem might be broken and need replacemet. I can find many posts expressing frustration because Optus port forwarding with the CG3000 v2 modem does not work for some ports (like port 80). In summary, it seems Optus firmware prevents the use of port 80, but Optus seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it and Netgear want money to do something about it (and not sure if they even can). 

Do you have any suggestions beyond changing ISPs?

Regards

Dale Godfrey

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Agree that my understanding is optus just send data. Modems (from any supplier) just direct it. 

If you are behind a business firewall then opening ports might involve talking to third parties. 

Port 80 is basically the port of the internet. Everything goes through port 80 in your browser. It's almost never blocked.

However you can choose your port. Look at your alarm software settings. you should have an option to set it port. If not then I'm surprised its port 80. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Contributor kimandlee
Contributor

anyone who charges you for opening ports are scamming you big time. its done client side. the sagemcom port forward settings are under advanced settings, NAT, port forwarding. the server ip it asks for, is the ip address of the machine you wish to open ports for. port forwarding is only required for incoming connections. you should not need to open port 80, as thats the web port used for general browsing, and is not recommended. failing that, try using DMZ mode which opens ALL ports to a designated ip address. i would not recommend using dmz on a home pc. a game console is fine.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi - yes that is what I thought about it seeming a bit much to charge me for opening ports. However, I have set my router up so that ports are open and when I scan them (using online tools) they are not open. I have a burglar alarm that says it needs port 80 to be open in order for me to communicate remotely with it. I have tried to open port 80 and Optus now tell me that it is blocked by them for security reasons. I then tried to open another port to use such as 82, but even that wont open (despite it appearing to be open on port forwarding). I have since set up my optus router modem as a bridge and applied a new Netgear router, but even that isnt working. I tried DMZ for this device (the alarm) and it didnt work either. Indeed - nothing I seem to do will open any ports on my router - I have scanned them all and they are all 'filtered' according to the online tools. Very frustrating!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors