cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Peaches
New Contributor

Obtuse Optus - Optus policy/guidelines for dealing with customers and fixing faults?

Hi everyone.

Could you please direct me to Optus’ policy on repair of faults and dealing with customers? I have no internet at home (see below) so haven’t the resources to browse.

In sum, our household has had little (< 1 mbps and only available for 20-30 mins at unpredictable intervals with days in-between) or no internet for the past three weeks. We have an unlimited ADSL package, which has never been faster than 3 mbps.  Contacting Optus by phone (12+ long calls - bar the 4 times the ‘system was down; call back in 3-4 hours’) has been nightmarish.

Each time they have ‘identified’ a different fault as the cause (Telstra, cable damage, NBN work, our split phone line, system error, outage) and been unable to say when service will be resumed Twice technicians have come out but we have not been told what they found. Last week I asked if they could please send a dongle with some credit until the fault could be fixed. My wife and I study in the evenings online and he kids have to do a large chunk of their homework online. While one child is delighted at the homework disruption (!), the other is seriously stressed and has tests to prepare for. The dongle was promised within 24-48 hours. 9 days later we still have no dongle. Each day I ring and am told ‘maybe tomorrow’ even when I provide the reference number. Optus are unable to tell me what is wrong or when it will be fixed – and they clearly do not care - though I am sure they must have some policy in this regard.

So far we have spent a lot of money on costly pay-as-you go credit (via Telstra as our phones are not with Optus), thinking the dongle will arrive the next day. We’ve also had to make time and money expensive trips (to top it all our car spent a week being repaired from being rear-ended) to libraries and other free wifi nodes. Very disruptive. In the meantime we are still paying for a service that isn’t being provided. A vague promise of a $50 credit was made on one call.

Optus’ complaints division don’t respond – or even acknowledge - either to input via thei website or via e-mail and their phoneoperators artfully avoid directing me to the relevant policy/guidelines despite asking directly. So on Friday I contacted the Telecommunications Ombudsman (TIO) to explain our problem. On Tuesday they sent a response to Optus and to myself, essentially mandating Optus to resolve the issue. In stark contrast with Optus, they were helpful and efficient. Optus have not bothered to contact us at any stage, so I am at my wits’ end. We are just a normal family struggling along and don’t have the resources of a large corporation.

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Best

Sven

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Obtuse Optus - Optus policy/guidelines for dealing with customers and fixing faults?

With dongles, you can usually just pop into a store and buy them on the spot. Optus will recredit the purchase price (and any data allowance they have agreed to)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Peaches
New Contributor

Re: Obtuse Optus - Optus policy/guidelines for dealing with customers and fixing faults?

Thanks very much Peter.

Optus said I could do this, but it would be for my own account. I objected and they then (last Tuesday)said they would post me a dongle with 'some' data on it. Unfortunately, the postage via courier has exceeded 9 days, so each day we wait in vain for this to arrive.

Also, Optus have not offered any details about data on the dongle to compensate for our not receiving a service via ADSL. In other words, we pay both for our ADSL (which does not work) + we have to pay for dongle data once whateve ris oade donto it is used up.

Really frustrating and unfair. Hopefully the TIO complaint will compel them to take this matter more seriously.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I hope so too.

IME what's happened is you talked to person A who said they'll arrange for person B to send out a dongle. Person B hasn't and person A is also nowhere to be found. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Peaches
New Contributor

Indeed.

More like persons a-h and their systems seems to struggle to track the previous calls etc. 

At least we only have a few months left on our contract and will then leave this all behind. 

What do I think of Optus Customer Service? I think it would be a very good idea (with apologies to Ghandi). 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors