Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor SamVer
New Contributor

OPtus blocking websites

Hi,

We have a website we use everyday to run our business. www.smartsheet.com.

Today we stopped being able to access it. The email I recieved from tech support stated that 'Optus is blocking it to protect users. We will remove the block when the phishing link is no longer hosted by the domain. There is no time frame given by the team"

We use this software every signle day and are quite dependant on it for operation of our business.

Can anyone help with a way to solve this?

The website works fine on other ISP computers. It does not work on any of our office computers regardless of wether we are using firefox, chrome or explorer. We have windows 10.

We can access the app from our phones however our mobiles are through another provider.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

11 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: OPtus blocking websites

Its possible the site is hosted on a cloud server and shares an IP Address with many other websites. If one of those is being blocked then this one will also be caught up in the block.

Contact Optus directly (this is a public forum) and request they unblock the site (they may or may not)

You could also install a cheap VPN (PureVPN?) that might enable you to bypass any local filtering in a pinch.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I can access the site with my Optus mobile, no vpn or anything.

I dont have a fixed line Optus connection to try besides a business grade fibre one at work (~2 hour commute today) will try on that.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor lennie52
Occasional Contributor

We too are having similar issues, our organisation Australia wide utilises smartsheets to share information and as of yesterday access to the login has been blocked - would love a solution too as we can access via our mobiles but anyone who uses smartsheets would know that is not always a viable option particularly if needing to export to excel 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Try the Optus Facebook / Twitter page. They are more responsive to things like this.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Following up from my post. 

Optus Mobile - site works

Optus Business Fibre - site works

Unfortunately i dont have a fixed line to check (thats with Optus).

Surely if it was a threat it would be blocked at the Optus mobile level.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor SamVer
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, I've sent them a message through Facebook about an hour ago. Will update if I hear back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor SamVer
New Contributor

OK, so update on this one if you are using Smartsheet and Optus.

Optus won't unblock the www.smartsheet.com website until they remove their phishing link. So unless Smartsheet is willing to remove it, there is no solution.

Smartsheet have advised me via email that they are trying to work with Optus to resolve the issue. I am not sure at this stage if or when that will happen.

Optus explained that due to the NZ attack they have been pressed by the government to block any unsure websites or they face reprimand.

It feels like we are fast becoming communist China.

In the short term if you are still having issues we have gone around the problem for now using a VPN, we have opted for Private Internet access as they allow us to add up to 6 computers, which is all the ones we have in the office on a single account which is $83.87 USD for 2 years. We did this instead of waiting as we rely so much on the use of Smartsheet for our business. 

I hope this has been helpful for anyone facing the same issues. If I hear anything back from Smartsheet and/or Optus I'll update here as well. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If the website is hosting a phishing site then they have a more serious security issue internally. 

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd agree with @Paddylee that the block is in place due to what appears to be a legitimate security concern. What your doing is like ignoring the flashing VIRUS! alert and proceeding on anyways.

FWIW the block will have nothing to do with the government (Optus staff do seem to like making up reasons sometimes). That issue involved the distribution of objectionable material and it is, as you say, debateable whether Optus should arbitarily deciding what parts of the internet its paying customers can visit.

Peter Gillespie