cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Fatso
Occasional Contributor

Re: Number of Devices that can connect to f@st3864 modem router

This problem is NOT resolved, OPTUS has failed to meet their customer SERVICE obligations and the ACCC and the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman are both as usefull as t1ts on a bull 😞 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

The solution mentioned in this post is the second comment "whilst we're unable to change the number of devices you can connect to the Optus provided modem, you can certainly try connecting a router.". I am sorry there isn't more we can offer from our end.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Fatso
Occasional Contributor

That is still hardly "resolved" because they offer NO guidance as to how to achieve this.  

If I told you you could become qualified as a nuclear physicist then you'd likely expect some guidance as to where to start.  

I've previously attempted to connect several different routers, all with no success and floptus can't even offer a general "how to" guide.

This is NOT resolved! 
These useless NBN connectivity devices should be thrown in the bin, along with our 15 years of floptus service! 

New Contributor 5t3vi3D
New Contributor

I feel your pain! I too am baffled by the inadequate 16 device limit on the sagemcom 3864OP modem supplied by Optus. Initially I thought I would be able to piggy back of the sagemcom using another modem as a router only.. with no luck. I then attempted using another modem router all together. After only asking Optus tech support if the adsl username and password was the same as my optus username and password, I was informed that they had reset it for me (which isn’t what I asked for) and that yes, they would be the same. They weren’t! and temporary  password given to me only allowed me to reconnect the old sagemcom modem but wouldn’t allow me to access “my account” in order to change the temp password or allow internet access to the new modem. So.. back at square one.

A few weeks later I thought I would give Optus support another go. After enquiring about the the device limitations  through general support I was asked for my account info (which is in my sisters name). I was then told that they can’t change any account details without authorisation from the account holder. Which is fine, but I wasn’t asking to change account details. I reiterated the fact that my enquiry about wifi device limitations on the modems supplied by Optus was an enquiry only, and what I considered a general enquiry at that! Wrong again! I was told I needed to contact tech support for that information and to have a nice day.

After waiting twice in queue with Optus 24/7 “fast” tech support for 30mins, on both occasions I was informed that  they were busier than usual and to try again later! So off to the Optus shop for some face time I thought. Surely this time I would be able to get an answer to my 1 and only question? Wrong again!! I was asked if I had the sagemcom 3864 AC and if I didn’t, I could upgrade to that plan Mon-Fri 9-5. “Does the AC modem still have the 16 limit restriction in place?” I asked. “I don’t know, you’ll have to ask tech support” they replied! 

Before I thought Optus customer service was average at best. Now I think it’s dead. If it’s not on a template/script they can’t help you and will just palm you off to another inadequately trained optus representative until you finally give in before your head explodes. Disappointed is an understatement.

New Contributor ElleEmm
New Contributor

This is EXACTLY why I will be finding another service provider as soon as my contract with Floptus is up.  Since Optus staff monitor this site, they should SERIOUSLY be considering how to retain their customers, because if you won't provide the sevice we need, we will find someone else who will!

New Contributor ElleEmm
New Contributor

Sorry, but that is not a solution.  And Optus are clueless to help make this "solution" work.  Useless.

New Contributor Aj_
New Contributor

Hi all.

Two things.

Firstly the number of devices that can connect to the Sagecom fast3864 is configurable.Under advanced Setup>wireless>basic. "Max clients"

Secondly, the default of 16 is standard for most off the shelf routers as beyond this point basic routers will begin running into frequency congestion and processing issues.

Simply put, many more than this will start increasing the chances of dropouts, lag, and possibly pages not loading correctly. Stuff like that.

I would like to clarify that this is 16 devices AT ONCE as some posts suggested they thought it meant total number of devices owned...

This will happen with ALL basic routers until you buy higher quality units with the hardware to support more clients.

Bottom line, yes you can increase the number, unless it's been locked out for some obscure reason. I'm doing it as I write this, I was looking for the maximum as we ran out of connections at my office. I had already set it to 20, but we needed more and it is now set to 24.

Yes, it will also potentially increase network issues for all devices connected to that router.

... We have not encountered noticeable issues as of yet, however.

Understand this issue isn't an Optus specific issue, it's been a wireless routing issue as long as wifi has existed. 

The simplest way to extend it and keep performance is to buy a higher quality router, be prepared for 180-250 dollars.

OR

purchase a second basic router for 40-50 bucks, (or use your old adsl2 router), and connect it to the main one, giving you a second WiFi network to use.

Hopefully that answers everyone's questions, beyond that I suggest simply googling "how do I add a second router to my home network" if you have no idea what you are doing.

Whirlpool.net.au is also an excellent resource for all things networking related

Thanks, enjoy.

Occasional Contributor petros
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that info. Very useful.

It would be great if a more detailed manual was available than the one Optus supplies.

As for your (and the Optus support person's) suggestion that one should purchase a higher quality wifi router, I might say that this solution may cause NBN related problems once the changeover happens. Not only that, Optus are supplying an NBN ready wifi router that is clearly unsuitable for today's home environment and recovering the cost of this in the fee we pay, and then suggesting we upgrade at our own further cost!

Yes, I know I can change provider when I'm out of contract.